Women's Hockey: Belanger and Lum help snap losing streak

The Huskies are defeated by the Vermont Catamounts 4-2 Friday at Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs. The Huskies look to play Vermont again tomorrow at home. UConn goals scored by #7 Leah Lum and #61 Briana Colangelo. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

This past weekend the UConn women’s hockey (12-13-3, 7-10-1 WHEA) played Vermont (11-10-7, 7-6-5 WHEA) in a home series. Coming into Friday night’s game, the Huskies were on a four- game losing streak.

There was a large crowd at Friday’s game, making for a fun environment for both teams.

“I’m so happy the band came and I thought it was a great crowd, so I was happy with that, and it’s just too bad we didn’t come out with a win,” UConn head coach Chris MacKenzie said.

On Friday night, Leah Lum and Briana Colangelo scored two goals collectively but it was not enough to outlast Vermont, who doubled UConn’s goals.

Despite extending their losing streak to five, the Huskies still displayed optimism.

“They are coming to play; we’re actually starting to play better. Of the five games we haven’t won this was our best game, so as a coach sitting here trying to put my finger on it, maybe it’s just not our time right now. Hopefully we’re saving it for the end of the season and get in the playoffs, it would be nice. Other than that, again I’m proud of the effort. I’m not happy with the result, but everything else our team does I’m proud of and happy with, and hopefully we’ll come out on the winning side of things soon,” MacKenzie said.

On Saturday, the Huskies came ready to play their best hockey in a long time.

Lum scored UConn’s two goals in the game, improving her goal total for the year to 17. Lum has had at least one point in UConn’s last four contests.

Goaltender Annie Belanger also had an impressive da, saving 38 shots and allowing only one goal.

“She’s been great all year, proud of her, she’s working hard to keep us in games and she’s performing at a high level,” MacKenzie said of Belanger.

Lum and Belanger were named two of the day’s stars after Saturday’s game.

UConn now ranks seventh in the Hockey East standings. The top eight teams move on to the postseason.

UConn plays next at Boston College on Friday.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.