Women’s Hockey: Huskies finally break bad streak

UConn forward Justine Fredette (14) manuevers past a Boston University defender during the Huskies 2-1 victory over the Terriers on Jan. 10, 2016. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

Thanks to two goals from junior Leah Lum after five consecutive losses, the UConn women’s ice hockey team was able to defeat Vermont in the second game of a doubleheader.

“It was exciting, we broke a long losing streak there, I’m proud of the team. We had started to play better and I think tonight we just got rewarded for another solid effort and we’re happy and excited to get this win and move on to Boston College on Friday,”
head coach  Chris MacKenzie said.

January was not the best month for the Huskies, they were swept by Providence and Northeastern despite having put a good effort on the ice.

On Friday night, Vermont took the lead through Alyssa Gorecki less than five minutes into the match up. UConn outshot its opponent 11-6 in the first period but was unable to find the net.

Vermont’s goaltender, Madison Litchfield had a total of 29 saves during the game.

UConn dominated the second and third period and had chances to close the deficit of three goals.

“I think it was a game of momentum, there was a lot of back and forth. There were stretches where they were carrying the play, there were stretches were we carrying the play. It was a game of mistakes and momentum and they made us pay for our mistakes,” MacKenzie said.

Lum scored with five minutes to go in the second period to put the Huskies 3-1. Freshman Briana Colangelo scored in the first minutes of the third period and UConn cut into Vermont’s lead 3-2.

With 11 minutes left on the clock Cassidy Campeau scored the last goal for Vermont, taking away the momentum the Huskies had built.

Back at Freitas Ice Rink Forum, the story turned out differently for UConn.

Lum and junior goaltender Annie Belanger were key for UConn to find the victory.

UConn scored the first goal of the game through Lum, who now has 17 goals this season and leads UConn in points and goals.

Lum tipped the puck past Vermont’s goaltender after sophomore Kayala Mee fired a shot.

“I think it helps us, we get a confidence level. We’ve been able to come back, so we’re not totally alarmed when we don’t score first but I think anytime you get that first goal it can give us a boost for sure,” MacKenzie said.

The Huskies held off after the Catamounts outshot them 14-8.

UConn’s defense killed penalties in the second period and at 5:36 Vermont was called for interference and Lum was able to score her sixth power play goal of the season.

Lum has had at least one point in the last four consecutive games and this is her seventh multipoint game.

The Catamounts scored in the third period in a power play to make it 2-1. They could not find the equalizer and were called for hooking in the last seconds of the game.

UConn’s Belanger had a total of 38 saves during the game. She continues to be an important player for the team.

“(Belanger’s) been great all year, proud of her, she’s working hard to keep us in games and she’s performing at a high level,” MacKenzie said.

Daniela Marulanda is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at daniela.marulanda@uconn.edu.