Talking Soccer: Loans, sales and news through the winter transfer window

Chelsea's manager Antonio Conte, right, shakes hands with Chelsea's Kenedy after the English FA Cup soccer match between Chelsea and Brentford at Stamford Bridge stadium in London, Saturday, Jan. 28, 2017. Chelsea won the match 4-0. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)

The winter transfer window ends tonight and with it a list of deals that have spread players across the European leagues through sales and loans. Winter transfer windows usually have less superstar sales and not as many transfers as the summer but it still plays a crucial part in some team’s seasons and can cause quite a bit of commotion in the leagues.

As far as the Premier League goes, Manchester United, Chelsea and West Ham were the most active in the window, with multiple well-known players being offloaded to other teams. While not bringing a single player in, United sold both Morgan Schneiderlin and Memphis Depay. After picking up Schneiderlin in the 2015 summer transfer window for 35 million euro they have sold him for almost 23 million euro to Everton while Memphis Depay sold to Olympique Lyon for 16 million, almost half of what Manchester bought him for at 34 million euro.

Chelsea offloaded Oscar to Chinese team Shanghai SIPG, as well as defender Branislav Ivanovic to Russian side Zenit. West Ham’s transfer window looked disappointing as they got rid of their main star Dimitri Payet for 25 million pounds to Olympique Marseille after a falling out between the club and the midfielder. Although they also lost Simone Zaza due to loan recall from Juventus (re-loaned to Valencia), they were able to purchase Jose Fonte from Southampton for a price of 8 million pounds.

Outside of England, there were not many significant transfers across the board but a number of loans. Stevan Joventic was loaned to Sevilla until the end of the season by Inter Milan and Real Madrid loaned Martin Odegaard to SC Heerenveen in the Netherland’s Eredivisie. FC Porto loaned Adrian out of Portugal to Villareal until the end of the season and Dortmund’s long-time centerback Neven Subotic was loaned to FC Koln to the end of the season in the Bundesliga. Significant transfers include Juan Iturbe’s loan to Torino from Roma and Patrice Evra’s sale by Juventus to Marseille.

While many of the signings that came in could improve a side’s chances going into the latter half of the season, many also went out of clubs that could cripple a team hoping to remain in the top of their league. Payet’s exit from West Ham looks to spell certain doom for the side while Subotic could no doubt help a club like Koln stay afloat down the stretch. Although it was a relatively mild winter transfer window, no doubt the summer at the end of the season will bring more surprises in terms of market value and transfers across Europe.

Joe Burns is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joseph.burns@uconn.edu.