Men's Basketball: Five-star recruit Diallo picks Kentucky over UConn

Five-star recruit Hamidou Diallo talks with UConn forward Mamadou Diarra during the Huskies' 70-67 loss to Auburn on Dec. 23 at the XL Center in Hartford. (Jackson Haigis, Photo Editor/The Daily Campus)

Class of 2017 men’s basketball recruit Hamidou Diallo, a five-star prospect who has been heavily pursued by UConn over the past year, announced Saturday that he would attend the University of Kentucky and play for head coach John Calipari.

Chris Barca, a sports journalist for the Queens Chronicle, livestreamed Diallo’s announcement ceremony through Periscope.

Diallo, an athletic shooting guard and consensus top-12 player in his class, made his first official visit to Storrs Dec. 22, staying to watch the Huskies take on Auburn in Hartford the next day. That visit followed many unofficial visits to UConn’s campus over the preceding months, as well as many trips by the Husky coaching staff to watch Diallo play high school ball at local powerhouse boarding school Putnam Science Academy.

Diallo arrived in Kentucky for an official visit Dec. 26, as another potential addition to Calipari’s 2017 recruiting class, already ranked No. 1 in the nation. He also planned to visit Arizona.

The heavily-pursued recruit, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard from Queens, New York, has drawn praise during the recruiting process for his athleticism and his ability to create his own shot.

The Huskies’ class of 2017 currently consists of three players: point guard Makai Ashton-Langford, small forward Tyler Polley and center Josh Carlton. Ashton-Langford, a 6-foot-2 guard from Brewster Academy, is widely considered one of the top-10 point guards in his class.

Tyler Keating is associate sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering football and men’s basketball. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.