Men's Hockey: Major penalty costly as Yale takes down UConn

Graduate transfer Brian Morgan shoots the puck in the Huskies' 4-2 loss to Yale on Saturday, Jan. 7, 2017 at the XL Center. (Ian Bethune/The UConn Blog)

HARTFORD— In their first game of the New Year, the UConn men's hockey team rounded out it's non-conference slate afternoon with a 4-2 loss against Yale. The Huskies' three game win streak comes to an end.

UConn (8-7-6) came out sluggish in the first period. The Huskies did not record a shot until 11 minutes into the game, as Yale dominated play. Fortunately for UConn, freshman goaltender Adam Huska made 15 saves in the first frame, including a stop of a one-on-one chance with a minute remaining.

"We know what a quality goaltender he is," Yale head coach Keith Allain said of Huska. "Our plan was to get a volume of shots on him and eventually the law of averages works out and you're going to get some."

Yale (6-6-2) scored just one goal in the period despite outshooting the Huskies 16-4. Joe Snively scored his eighth of the season eight minutes in to start the scoring. The Huskies would answer later in the period when graduate transfer Brian Morgan scored the equalizer.

UConn was certainly happy to head into the intermission with a tie score. The Huskies would play much better to start the second period, and Spencer Naas would give UConn the lead with a power play goal at in the period. Naas' 11th of the year came after a diving pass from Max Kalter.

However, shortly after the goal that put UConn ahead, freshman forward Justin Howell was called for a game misconduct, resulting in a five-minute major on the Huskies and an ejection for Howell. Yale scored two goals on the ensuing power play chance to retake the lead, 3-2.

"I thought we did come back to be more of an even game for the first 12 minutes of the second period," UConn head coach Mike Cavanaugh said. "But when we took the five-minute major, they flipped it and it was all Yale from there."

Yale scored an insurance goal early in the third period to make it 4-2, and that would end up being the final score, as UConn only managed to get four shots on goal while playing from behind in the third period. On the night, Yale outshot the Huskies 41-15, and UConn recorded just one shot - a goal - in three power play opportunities. Although it wasn't the best performance from UConn, Cavanaugh isn't worried about the rest of the season.

"I'm not discouraged about the team at all," Cavanaugh said. "I think that our body of work up to this point, we've shown that we can play with anybody in the country. We didn't play well and I think that what we have to do is flush it, learn from it."

The Huskies will try to do just that when they head to Bridgeport to take on Maine at Webster Bank Arena.

Josh Buser is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.