Around the American: UCF and Tulane dismantle opponents

UCF tight end Jordan Franks, right, collides head-to-head with Cincinnati cornerback Linden Stephens, left, in the first half of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

UConn wasn’t the only American Athletic Conference team killed last weekend. Teams from warm-weather states delivered some big blowouts this weekend.

UCF 51, Cincinnati 23

UCF continued their contest with their directional Florida rival USF of who can blow out conference opponents by more points on Saturday, as they destroyed Cincinnati.

McKenzie Milton had another explosive game, completing 16 passes for 374 yards and five touchdowns, for an average of nearly 20 yards per pass. His favorite target, Tre’Quan Smith, had a career performance catching catching five passes for 165 yards, three of them for touchdowns, while running for another score.

The only thing that could stop UCF’s relentless offense was mother nature, as the game was called in the middle of the third quarter after thunderstorms rolled in.

Tulane 62, Tulsa 28

The sea was angry that day, my friends. The Tulane Green Wave rolled right over Tulsa on Saturday, utterly dominating them in every facet of the game.

This game’s box score is too bright for human eyes to look at directly, so here are some curated facts for you to peruse:

Tulane completed nine of 13 passes for 162 yards and one touchdown. Three different Tulane running backs had over nine yards per carry. Tulane running back Dontrell Hilliard had four touchdowns and 175 yards per carry by himself.

Tulane nearly tripled Tulsa’s time of possession and had 653 total yards of offense to Tulsa’s 412 (most of which came in garbage time). 34 of the 70 plays that Tulane ran on offense either resulted in a first down, or a touchdown. In the first half, Tulane scored a touchdown every time they touched the ball.

Temple 34, East Carolina 10

For a team with a struggling offense and quarterback, there isn’t a better team to play than East Carolina. Temple quarterback Logan Marchi had the first 300-yard performance of his career on Saturday as he threw for 321 yards and two touchdowns against East Carolina on Saturday.

Temple running back David Hood had a quality game as well, rushing for 106 yards and one touchdown on 5.3 yards per carry. Receiver Isaiah Wright had a career day, catching six passes for a career-high 91 yards and hauled in one touchdown.

East Carolina quarterback Thomas Sirk didn’t have a great day throwing the ball for the Pirates, throwing for 253 yards and one interception.

Navy 48, Air Force 45

In a wild game in Falcon Stadium that featured 1,178 yards of total offense, Navy came out on top against their service academy rivals Air Force. Air Force took a commanding 28-10 lead going into the half, then Air Force proceeded to score touchdowns on five straight possessions to go up four points with two minutes remaining in the game.

Option offenses are really not designed to run the two-minute drill but that didn’t stop Navy quarterback Zach Abey, who led the Midshipmen on a 12-play, 74 yard drive to score the game-winning touchdown.

Abey had a great day rushing the ball, with 29 carries for 214 yards, but the real breakout star for Navy was Malcolm Perry. The sophomore running back accounted for 172 yards of total offense and two touchdowns, including Navy’s first touchdown of the day.

Houston 35, SMU 22

Houston’s offense sprung to life against SMU Saturday behind running back Duke Catalon’s Herculean effort of 22 carries for 177 yards and two touchdowns.

Houston jumped out to a 21-12 lead in the first half but SMU scored in the third quarter to get them within two points. Catalon then proceeded to ice the game by himself, with touchdown runs of 16 and 52 yards to deny SMU their comeback hopes.

Houston quarterback Kyle Postma is continued to settle in to his position as starter, completing 19-of-27 passes for 176 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions.

Luke Swanson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at luke.swanson@uconn.edu.