Huskies make a showing in MLB Playoffs

Houston Astros' George Springer watches his RBI single in front of Boston Red Sox catcher Christian Vazquez, right, second inning of Game 4 of baseball's American League Division Series, Monday, Oct. 9, 2017, in Boston. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

The MLB playoffs are underway and some former Huskies are making an imprint. Here are some of the most notable UConn alumni enjoying some October baseball.

George Springer

Springer, the biggest baseball name to come out of UConn, is helping the Astros in their attempt to capture their first ever World Series championship. Springer was strong against the Boston Red Sox in the ALDS, batting above .300 with a home run. He has been key to the Astros’ success as a reliable leadoff man and lockdown centerfielder. Despite being surrounded by some of the game’s biggest stars in Houston, like Jose Altuve, Springer has become one of the faces of the team, as well as all of baseball. He will lead the Astros into the ALCS after Houston finished Boston off on Monday.

The outfielder became the highest drafted player to come out of Storrs when he was selected 11th overall in 2011. At UConn, he set a school record with 46 home runs.

Nick Ahmed and Matt Barnes

Ahmed and Barnes were both important contributors on the Arizona Diamondbacks and Red Sox, respectively, this season but are absent from the teams’ ALDS rosters.

Ahmed has missed significant time this season due to a hand injury. He was a 2nd round draft pick in 2011. That same year Barnes was drafted in the 1st round.

Scott Oberg

Oberg got just a slight taste of the postseason as he pitched two-thirds inning for the Colorado Rockies in the NL Wild Card Game. He entered the game in the second inning, replacing a struggling Jon Gray. Oberg made the most of his short appearance, retiring the only two batters he faced. He struck out the Arizona Diamondbacks’ two best hitters, Paul Goldschmidt and J.D. Martinez, to escape a jam.

The right-hander was drafted out of Storrs in the 15th round in 2012. He has pitched three seasons in the major leagues.

Dylan Barrett is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at dylan.barrett@uconn.edu.