Melissa’s Menu: Pumpkin pie bombs

despite some of the weirder combinations, when done right pumpkin spice is absolutely delicious. That’s why this week’s recipe is a simpler version of the most classic pumpkin dish of all: pumpkin pie. (Photo courtesy of Delish.com)

We all know as soon as fall comes around everything becomes pumpkin spice flavored. Especially within the last few years this craze has become almost ridiculous with foods that should never be pumpkin spice flavored becoming pumpkin spice flavored (I’m looking at you, pumpkin spice hummus). However, despite some of the weirder combinations, when done right pumpkin spice is absolutely delicious. That’s why this week’s recipe is a simpler version of the most classic pumpkin dish of all: pumpkin pie. This recipe provides the shortcut of removing pie crust and instead making individual bite sized balls of pumpkin spice deliciousness.

Ingredients:

• 1 tube crescent rolls
  • 1 c. canned pumpkin puree
  • 3 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 c. sugar, divided
  • 3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, divided
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • 2 tbsp. melted butter
  • 1/2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp. milk

Directions:

First, preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, mix pumpkin puree, cream cheese, egg, one third cup of sugar, two tsp. of pumpkin pie spice and vanilla. Mix until smooth and season with a pinch of salt.
Unroll crescent rolls and pinch the perforations together to create one solid sheet. Cut  the smoothed out rolls into eight squares. Dollop a rounded tablespoon of pumpkin mixture onto each square. Pinch all corners together and seal to create a ball. In a small bowl, mix sugar with one teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Brush the balls with melted butter and roll in the sugar mixture.
Place the balls on a baking sheet, leaving about a two inch space between each ball. Bake until the balls are golden and puffy, which should be about 10-15 minutes. While the balls are baking, make glaze: In a medium bowl, mix powdered sugar and milk until smooth, adding more powdered sugar or milk for desired consistency. Serve slightly cooled balls with glaze for dipping, or drizzle glaze on top of the balls.

This recipe is just as delicious as regular pumpkin pie, but it is so much easier to make. Its creamy, sweet, pumpkin-y and the crescent roll creates the perfect flaky crust. With so many pumpkin flavored options out there, it can be difficult to decide what to try or what to make. If you’re looking for something different but not too out there, this is the perfect pumpkin treat for you!

Melissa Scrivani is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.