‘Riverdale’ season 2 promises answered questions, new characters

Season two of CW favorite “Riverdale” premieres tomorrow, promising to answer viewers’ burning questions about topics such as Fred Andrews’ fate and Bughead’s future, and foreshadow several new characters’ expected introductions this season. (Photo courtesy of Entertainment Tonight)

Season two of CW favorite “Riverdale” premieres tomorrow, promising to answer viewers’ burning questions (though not as burning as Cheryl Blossom torching Thornhill, am I right?) about topics such as Fred Andrews’ fate and Bughead’s future, and foreshadow several new characters’ expected introductions this season.

Several season two trailers and promos released since the season one finale hint that the show, a murder mystery/teen soap opera based on Archie Comics characters, will take on a more foreboding tone in its second season.

Season one culminated in the revelation that Riverdale’s maple syrup magnate, Clifford Blossom, killed Jason Blossom, his own son, when Jason uncovered the Blossom family’s drug business.

Last season’s finale left Fred’s survival in the balance and unresolved after an as-of-yet unidentified gunman shot him at Pop’s Diner for currently unknown reasons.

The season two trailer “Stunning Critics” begins with Sheriff Keller removing his hat as he walks into the scene and announces he has “tragic news to share” with the Riverdale crew. The group of friends then slowly stands up, blurry and unfocused in the scene’s background. This news could be about Fred.

The trailer also shows Archie Andrews in his letterman jacket, stained with the blood of his father, Fred. Archie witnessed Fred’s shooting, leading viewers to wonder what dark turns Archie might take to find his father’s shooter. The trailer ends with Archie standing outside Pop’s Diner, a close-up shot revealing he has a gun in hand.

“(Archie) wants vengeance, pretty much,” KJ Apa, the actor behind Archie, told TVGuide.com. “I believe he's going to go to all ends to get to the bottom of it. We're going to see a really different side to him.”

The season two trailer “Motive” addresses the present relationship status of everyone’s favorite investigative team, Betty and Jughead, aka Bughead. Betty did not exactly seem pleased last season when Jughead received a South Side Serpents jacket, and some tension can be expected between the couple this season, since Jughead moved in with a foster family and transferred to Southside High in season one.

Further tension in Bughead’s relationship may arise from second season newcomer Toni Topaz. At Comic-Con, Vanessa Morgan, who will portray Topaz, referred to her character as “Jughead’s guide into the Serpent world” and “almost like the female Jughead.” Morgan said in Glamour’s August 2017 edition that Bughead fans have expressed concerns to her that Topaz will cause a rift between Betty and Jughead, some going so far as to send Morgan death threats, but she feels, “People are just jumping to conclusions.”

In the “Motive” trailer, however, Jughead looks anxiously at a South Side Serpents jacket, implying he is worried about his familial connections to the Serpents. The trailer also includes a scene of he and Betty kissing in the rain; how mushy, yet hopeful for them.

A few other new characters will be introduced in season two as well. According to Digital Spy, Mark Consuelos will star as Hiram Lodge, Veronica Lodge’s father, absent in season one because he was imprisoned for his nefarious business dealings. Hart Denton is slated to play Betty’s long-lost brother Chic, according to TV Line. Entertainment Weekly states that Veronica’s ex from New York, Nick St. Clair, will also make an appearance.

Riverdale’s story continues, as Jughead would say in his opening narration for the show, Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 8 p.m. on the CW.

Alexandra Retter is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexandra.retter@uconn.edu.