Major Fair gives students chance to figure out future

Students interact with professors and other students in the various departments and majors that UConn offers at The Major Fair in the Student Union ballroom on Wednesday, Oct. 11, 2017. (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

The Major Fair is an opportunity for students to explore different degrees, whether they are considering a second major, adding a minor or are currently part of the ACES program and looking to select a major.

The Student Union Ballroom hosted this year’s Major Fair Wednesday, exhibiting many of the university’s majors.

The University of Connecticut’s The Major Experience (TME) initiative is an amalgam of career pursuits and degree options. TME began as a partnership between UConn’s Academic Center for Exploratory Students and the Center for Career Development. According to its mission statement, TME is dedicated to major exploration.

“TME puts you in the driver’s seat and allows the opportunity to learn about yourself, majors, and careers at your own pace and on your own terms,” according to TME’s website.

Fifty majors were represented at the event.

There were seven different schools represented at the Major Fair, including the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources; the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences; Neag School of Education; the School of Business; the School of Engineering; the School of Fine Arts and the School of Pharmacy.

Eight majors were present from the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources, as well as 40 different majors from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

While not every major UConn offers was represented at the event, 50 of the 159 were present and seven of the nine schools or colleges were represented.

Some of the majors not present from the larger schools include journalism, Japanese studies, nutritional sciences and exercise science. The schools of business, engineering and pharmacy were represented by a singular table due to their small sizes in comparison to other programs.

The schools not present were the School of Nursing and the Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture.

TME also offered a list of questions to ask prospective majors or college representatives, such as “What are some of the best courses to take for students interested in this major?” or “What are some not-so-typical jobs that students have gotten associated with this major?”

Aside from major advice and guidance, the Major Fair also supplied students with resources to further their careers as well.

TME provides resources for students such as the Major Elimination Activity to help narrow down preferable options for an undecided student, TME Student Mentors to discuss what it is like to be a student in each major and the ability to schedule a meeting with a TME coach to explore options in deciding on a major.

“It is a good event to go to if you’re considering switching into a major, and a good opportunity to learn about the requirements and job opportunities for that major,” Julia Cobuzzi, a seventh semester nutrition major ,said.

TME is a beneficial program for those unsure of what career path they would like to pursue, and is one of UConn’s many assets in assisting their students to find their desired career.

The Major Fair is an opportunity to inquire into different degrees and see the benefits of each, all in one place.     

Abby Brone is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at abigail.brone@uconn.edu.