Football: UConn vs. Temple preview capsule

The Owls traveled to North Carolina to take on the ECU Pirates and came home with a 34-10 victory. Quarterback Logan Marchi, a former UConn commit, finished 19-31 with 321 yards passing in an impressive showing. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

Time and Place: 12 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 14 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Where to Watch: ESPNews, not available on University of Connecticut TV listings. Can also watch on the WatchESPN app.

Last Meeting: UConn and Temple have faced off 17 times in the history of this matchup since 1963. Temple leads the all-time series 12-5 and has won the last three meetings. The most recent game between the Huskies and Owls ended in a 21-0 shutout; people may remember that game as the one in which UConn quarterback-turned-wide receiver Donovan Williams burned his redshirt.

Last Time Out: The Huskies took on conference opponent Memphis in what started out as a shootout at Rentschler Field on Friday, Oct. 6. The game ended in a 70-31 blowout in favor of the Tigers. The UConn defense broke the program record for most points allowed in a single game and allowed over 700 yards. It wasn’t pretty.

The Owls traveled to North Carolina to take on the ECU Pirates and came home with a 34-10 victory. Quarterback Logan Marchi, a former UConn commit, finished 19-31 with 321 yards passing in an impressive showing.

UConn (1-4, 0-3 the American) vs. Temple (3-3, 1-2 the American)

Key Players: 

UConn quarterback Bryant Shirreffs:

It’s hard to believe how far Bryant Shirreffs has come in his time in Storrs. Now under offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, Shirreffs has one of the highest quarterback efficiency ratings in the nation with 171.4. His completion percentage is up to 66.7 percent and he has thrown for 1,475 yards and nine touchdowns in just shy of five games. If Shirreffs plays well, the offense can move the ball well enough to maybe make it a game.

Temple quarterback Logan Marchi:

Logan Marchi, a former UConn commit, hasn’t had an outstanding year, but has been an efficient game-manager for the Temple offense. He has a 117.7 quarterback efficiency rating, despite a 53.9 completion percentage, and has passed for 1,302 yards and eight touchdowns this year. The Owls like to spread the ball around to a number of weapons and Marchi is their field general.

UConn linebacker Junior Joseph:

Junior Joseph’s motor continues to power this struggling UConn defense. This season, Joseph has amassed 45 total tackles including two-and-a-half tackles for loss. Joseph has also earned one sack this year and may just be the only bright spot on an otherwise downright embarrassing defense this year.

Temple defensive back Delvon Randall:

The most disruptive force on the Owls’ defense is unquestionably junior safety Delvon Randall. He leads Temple with two interceptions and 45 tackles in six games this year. Randall has the capability to be a ball-hawking free safety or a box-stuffing strong safety and could give the Huskies both looks on Saturday.

Talking Points

Injuries in the Secondary: Senior defensive back Brice McAllister had surgery performed on his injured hand this week, paving the way for freshman safety Brayden Brown to earn his first start in a Husky uniform. McAllister will be out for a few weeks, UConn head coach Randy Edsall said.

Redshirt freshman Tahj Herring-Wilson has a leg issue and will sit out this weekend against Temple. Redshirt senior defensive back Tre Bell, who has struggled quite a bit this season, will get the start in Herring-Wilson’s place.

No Redshirt Burning: Freshman punter Luke Magliozzi, recruited from Australia, will be redshirted this season in order to preserve a year of eligibility, Edsall said. Most freshmen who haven’t seen playing time will also be getting redshirts for the remainder of the season.

“We have what we have, and what we’ll do is work to make them better,” Edsall said.

The Randy Report

On Temple: “We’re going to play a team that’s very physical, who’s athletic, down in their backyard coming off a big win,” Edsall said. “We’re going to have to prepare well and we’re going to have to work to play a full 60 minutes. They’re a good football team and one that plays hard and plays physical.”

On earning confidence: “You earn confidence by knowing what you’re doing and going out there and doing it every day,” Edsall said. “Yeah, there’s things that we can do to try to put guys in position to be able to make plays which will help their confidence. But … confidence has got to come from within. That’s something that you earn through your preparation, through your hard work, through studying.”

Chris Hanna is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.