Men's Soccer: UConn heads to USF

After a rocky start to the season, the Huskies have gotten their American Athletic Conference games off to a dream start by defeating Temple, Tulsa and Cincinnati. UConn’s only two losses in the last ten games have come against No. 8 Maryland and No. 5 Notre Dame. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

UConn men’s soccer will look to remain perfect in conference play when they take on South Florida on Friday night in Tampa.

Both teams currently sit atop the American with three conference wins, with the Bulls ahead on the tiebreaker because of one less loss on the season.

After a rocky start to the season, the Huskies have gotten their American Athletic Conference games off to a dream start by defeating Temple, Tulsa and Cincinnati. UConn’s only two losses in the last ten games have come against No. 8 Maryland and No. 5 Notre Dame.

The Huskies’ defense has been key in the team's recent success, holding opponents scoreless in four of their last six games. Consistency has also been important as Andrew Geres, Nkosi Burgess, Jacob Hauser-Ramsey and Dylan Greenberg have started almost every single game for the Huskies this season.

Scott Levene and the rest of the UConn defense will be tasked with stopping a USF team that has been scoring for fun recently with 8 goals in their last two games.

South Florida has not been as astute at the back, only holding two teams to shutouts so far this season. Instead the Bulls have relied on their offense to carry the team. The Bulls are a very balanced team and are led by Adrian Billhardt, Bradley Farias and Ricardo Gomez. All three players have at least three goals and three assists on the season and Billhardt leads the team with five goals and five assists.

UConn, on the other hand, relies heavily on one player, Abdou Mbacke Thiam. Thiam has seven goals on the season, including the game-winner in the Huskies’ match last week against Cincinnati.

South Florida is undefeated at home this season and has not lost in its last eight games at Corbett Stadium dating back to last season.

Following this weekend's match, the Huskies will have two games in the next week when they head to Boston College and welcome UCF to Storrs.

If the Huskies continue their undefeated start in the American, it will be the team's best ever start in the conference.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.