UCPD to conduct DUI Checkpoints

Gilbert explained that while alcohol education efforts by the university and UCPD aim to help prevent driving under the influence and abusing drugs and alcohol, the checkpoints provide a concrete, visible deterrent. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut Police Department will be conducting DUI checkpoints on Saturday Oct. 14 and 28.

The checkpoints will be located on North Eagleville Road, Discovery Drive and/or Mansfield Road depending on the activity levels in those areas Lieutenant Justin Gilbert said.

The checkpoints will be in place from approximately 8 p.m. to 3 a.m., Gilbert said.

Gilbert said the checkpoints are being done on these dates because of the increased activity that traditionally accompanies homecoming weekend and Halloween weekend respectively.

“We know that there is more activity those weekends in general,” Gilbert said.

Gilbert said it is a requirement that UCPD advertise that they will be conducting checkpoints to the community ahead of time.

“I think it’s important for the community to understand that we take (driving under the influence) very seriously and we try to make sure that (the community is) safe,” Gilbert said.  

Gilbert explained that while alcohol education efforts by the university and UCPD aim to help prevent driving under the influence and abusing drugs and alcohol, the checkpoints provide a concrete, visible deterrent.

“As far as enforcement, it’s a very visible thing, (so) hopefully we can deter if not step in on a situation where there is drinking or (drug use) and driving,” Gilbert said.

Gilbert said if anyone observes a driver whom he or she suspects may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, he or she should call 911 and provide them with information about the vehicle’s direction of travel and license plate number if one can do so safely.

“Make sure (you’re) not endangering (yourself) in the process, and just try to get the information to the police as soon as possible,” Gilbert said.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.