Women’s Hockey: UConn welcomes Union for a pair of games this weekend

Union has yet to win a game this season and are coming off a crushing 7-0 loss against Vermont. Arianna Kosakowski leads the team with three goals, only four games into the season. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The UConn Women’s Hockey team (1-2, 0-1) takes on Union (0-3-1) Friday at 7 p.m. and Saturday at 3 p.m. as they look to swipe two games this weekend at the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum.

The Huskies are coming off a well-fought game against their conference foe Vermont, losing 2-1. Senior Leah Lum got UConn on the board first off the assist from sophomore Briana Colangelo. However, Vermont caught up and eventually scored the game-winning goal in the second period.

“Leah has provided offense in spurts so far this season,” UConn head coach Chris Mackenzie said. “We will need her and others to bring a consistent offensive punch to our games.”

Union has yet to win a game this season and are coming off a crushing 7-0 loss against Vermont. Arianna Kosakowski leads the team with three goals, only four games into the season. Kate Spooner has edged the trio of goalies in minutes and saves – she has 53.

“We prepare every game the same way,” Mackenzie said. “We do our best to focus on ourselves and the things we can control.”

UConn Freshman Natalie Snodgrass has gotten her Husky career off to a nice start as she provided the game-winning goal against St. Cloud State in overtime September 29. Lum, who led the team in goals last season is currently in a four-way tie with Snodgrass, Colangelo and Justine Fredette with one. However, Lum leads the team with two assists.

Senior goalie Annie Belanger has received the bulk of the playing time and through two games, she has 49 saves. Sophomore Morgan Fisher has 22 saves in her only game of the season.

Mackenzie said that he has a couple of focuses for his team.

“There are two things that we are currently focusing on, and that is creating more offense and consistency,” Mackenzie said.

UConn will look to apply those goals this weekend as they take on a struggling Union team.

Michael Logan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.