Women’s Soccer: Eveillard Erupts?

Victory against SMU put UConn officially past the halfway point of their conference schedule. Last season through five games the Huskies were 4-0-1, with the lone tie actually coming at SMU in a scoreless fashion. (Nick Hampton/The Daily Campus)

Freshman Yamilee Eveillard has been paying dividends recently for the UConn women’s soccer, and got a starting nod over Kess Elmore at the top of Huskies’ formation. It’s somewhat of a new role for her

It was a decision that paid off. Eveillard scored two goals on the night, both times from midfielder Erin Spillane, while demonstrating skill and athleticism on both.

“Just getting forward, making dynamic runs, opening up for my teammates,” Eveillard said on keys to her goals.

Her second goal came in a questionable fashion, as the pass from Spillane appeared to find her in an offsides position but Eveillard still made an impressive play and lauded her connection with Spillane post-game.

“I think in practice we work well together; even off the field we’re really close; its translates on to the field and it really works.”

This coming off their loss to Memphis where she scored as well, it’s a hot streak that a UConn will hope to keep riding after struggling for offense early in the season.

“It’s not a position I’d ever played before, but I really like up there and I’m doing ok,” said Eveillard.

Halfway there

Since the American conference began the UConn women’s soccer program has never finished outside the top four.

In 2013 and 2014 the Huskies finished fourth while in 2015 and 2016 they finished first.

Yet coming into their last matchup against SMU, the Huskies found themselves in fifth with six points and work to do trailing Cincinnati and Memphis who both had more than a game up at 10 points

After tonight’s results, victories for the Bearcats and Tigers, the Huskies climb is the same four points back.

The Huskies will still have a daunting road ahead with national no. 8 UCF and a talented USF team ahead.

“Just got to keep building as a team, working hard, and we’ll get there,” said Eveillard.

Victory against SMU put UConn officially past the halfway point of their conference schedule. Last season through five games the Huskies were 4-0-1, with the lone tie actually coming at SMU in a scoreless fashion.

In the conference’s short history, the Huskies have never been below .500 in conference action half way through.

Breast Cancer Awareness

The contest was officially “Breast Cancer Awareness” night, and the UConn team, as well as associate head coach Zac Shaw, wore sharp pink uniforms with blue lettering instead of their traditional home jerseys. Head coach Len Tsantiris wore a bright pink polo underneath his UConn jacket as well. October is breast cancer awareness month and the pink uniforms to show support and raise awareness is something UConn has been doing for some time now.

Matt Barresi is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.