Former UConn soccer player arrested for burglarizing Geno’s Grille

(Courtesy of UConn Police)

A former University of Connecticut soccer player was arrested on charges related to stealing a bottle of vodka from Geno’s Grille.

Brendan Maxwell Hill, 20, of Tolland, Connecticut, was charged with third-degree burglary and sixth-degree larceny on an active arrest warrant for an incident that occurred on Sept. 15 on Oct. 8 according to state police.

Hill entered the restaurant at 3:38 a.m. through an unlocked door and took a bottle of Absolut Mango Vodka, valued at $30, from the bar, state police said. Geno’s General Manager Brittany Kaytis told state police Hill was in the restaurant for about twenty seconds.  

Police were able to identify Hill as the suspect in part due to the fact that he was wearing a pair of shorts with his UConn soccer number, 31, on them, state police said.

Hill played defense for the UConn men’s soccer team as a red-shirt freshman in 2016 according to his bio on the UConn men’s soccer website.

Hill was released from the program and did not participate in the 2017 season or preseason training, Senior Associate Director of UConn Athletics Communications Mike Enright said.

State police gave the following account of the incident:

After viewing the surveillance video from Geno’s, state police contacted the UConn Police Department to gain access to the Oaks on the Square camera system.

Cameras showed Hill enter a stairwell in the Oaks on the Square holding a glass bottle and attempting to conceal his face with his shirt. The number 31 on the shorts was clearly visible in the video.

Police worked with management at the Oaks to determine that Hill used his girlfriend, Jordyn Miller’s, scan card to gain access to the building.

Police then searched Miller’s Facebook page and found a photo of her with Hill who matched the description of the suspect.

Police then went to Hill’s Facebook and found that he played for the UConn soccer team and that his jersey number was 31.

Police then spoke with UConn men’s soccer assistant coach Mike Miller who confirmed that Hill played on the team but had been released over the summer.

Hill’s bond was set at $5,000.

Hill’s court date is scheduled for Oct. 30 in Rockville Superior Court.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.