Gucci Mane releases highly anticipated album "Mr.Davis"

Rap artist Gucci Mane performing at 515 Alive in Des Moines, IA on Aug. 18.  (Evan Guest/Flickr Creative Commons)

Gucci Mane finally released his highly anticipated album “Mr. Davis” on Oct. 13 with high expectations after pushing back the release date by a month. The album addresses themes that are prevalent in all of Mane’s music like money, drugs and grinding, but also reflects on his new transformation after getting out of jail.

Mane released the first single of the album, “Make Love” featuring Nicki Minaj, on Feb. 23. He then released “Tone It Down,” featuring Chris Brown, as the second single over the summer. The third and fourth singles, “I Get The Bag” featuring Migos and “Curve” featuring The Weeknd, were released later in the summer and garnered the most attention and excitement about the release of the full album.

“Mr. Davis” features a wide variety of featured artists, including Big Sean, ScHoolboy Q, A$AP Rocky and others. The star-studded feature list adds to the diversity of the album and keeps it from being musically repetitive.

“Mr. Davis” references Mane’s time in jail and the consequent transformation that he’s experienced since being out. This idea of transformation is clear in the structure of the album, which opens with the song “Work In Progress (Intro)” and ends with “Made It (Outro).”

The track “Changed” featuring Big Sean also reflects this idea, especially with the lyrics, “Old Gucci Mane was addicted to drinking/New Gucci Mane, I’m addicted to Franklins/No we’re not the same, I’m evolving.”

“Lil Story” featuring ScHoolboy Q tells the story of Mane’s transition from jail back into the real world. “Money Make Ya Handsome” also references about both Mane’s physical and mental transformations.

However, while the album starts and ends on a high note, the content in the middle of “Mr. Davis” gets fairly redundant. Mane constantly references his excessive amount of money, women and cars. While listening to a couple of these songs is definitely entertaining, especially with the solid hip-hop beats used in each one, listening to the entire album in a row can be a bit tedious.

The most profound song on the album is most definitely “Work In Progress (Intro).” In this song, Mane reflects on the people and events that shaped his past. The very personal lyrics makes the song very strong. The intimacy that is so prominent on this track is missing from the rest of the songs on the album.

“Mr. Davis” is just one of many projects Mane has released in 2017. Mane has already released his autobiography and his new clothing line, along with the mixtape “Droptopwop” in May 2017. Mane is also getting married to Keyshia Ka’oir on Oct. 17 in a wedding event that’s being branded as “The Mane Event” and will be shown live on BET.

Overall, “Mr. Davis” is just another example of how Gucci Mane has been thriving since being released from jail. While some of the tracks don’t have the most profound of messages, they are all musically interesting with solid hip-hop beats and Mane’s smooth voice, reflecting the rapper’s swift  transformation over the past year.

Lucie Turkel is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lucie.turkel@uconn.edu.