Malloy hopeful about new budget proposal

Rep. Jonathan Steinberg sits before a special session of the Connecticut House of Representatives in Hartford, Conn., Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2017. The Connecticut House of Representatives chose not to vote Tuesday after convening to consider an override of Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's budget veto. (Monica Jorge/The Courant via AP)

Gov. Dannel Malloy released a new budget proposal on Monday as Connecticut entered its 108th day without a state budget.

The new proposed budget raises $150 million less in revenue over the two years and cuts spending by around the same amount.

The proposal cuts municipal aid instead of education funding. Education funding cuts would be phased in, according to WFSB.

Malloy said in a press conference Monday the proposal’s goals are to eliminate tax increases and cut additional spending.

“This is a lean, no-frills, no-nonsense budget,” Malloy said in a statement. “Our goals were simple in putting this plan together: eliminate unpopular tax increases, incorporate ideas from both parties, and shrink the budget and its accompanying legislation down to their essential parts. It is my sincere hope this document will aid the General Assembly in passing a budget that I can sign into law.”

Malloy said he remains open to making changes and improvements in his proposed budget.

“No budget is perfect, and none of us have the market cornered on good ideas. At the same time, we must keep in mind that time is of the essence if we want to avoid the most difficult cuts to towns, hospitals and nonprofits. Simply put, we need to act now on behalf of our constituents,” Malloy said.

Senate Republican leader Lee Fasano (R-North Haven) said he appreciates that Gov. Malloy presented the proposal, but legislative leaders will continue budget negotiations.

“It is obvious that the governor’s proposal, including his devastating cuts to certain core services and shifting of state expenses onto towns and cities, would not pass the legislature in its current form,” Fasano said.

Senate President Pro Tempore Martin Looney (D-West Haven) and Speaker of the House Joe Aresimowicz (D-Berlin) expressed the importance of compromises going forward.

“I appreciate the governor’s effort to try and help move our budget negotiations toward a final agreement. I look forward to fully reviewing his latest compromises and continuing our bipartisan discussions on how best to move our state forward and get to a budget that becomes law,” Aresimowicz said.

Looney said lawmakers intend to review the governor’s latest budget.

“It is important that all parties make progress toward reaching a final budget agreement that provides predictability and stability for families, school districts, social service providers and businesses,” Looney said.

Lawmakers said they have agreed on some smaller items but have not reached a deal on a spending cap and money for schools. They said they hope to have an agreement by Friday, according to WFSB.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.