North Eagleville Road project extends to 2018

North Eagleville Road construction will be extended until 2018 despite promises to be finished earlier. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

The construction on the University of Connecticut’s North Eagleville road will continue into 2018.

The work is the result of overdue infrastructure overhauls to the water pipe system and an initiative to prepare utilities for further development in the University’s Campus Master Plan, according to UConn Today. The infrastructure was last replaced in the 60s, according to UConn Today.

The work will be postponed over the spring semester due to possibly hazardous working conditions and inconveniences to students. According to UConn Today, funding was supplied by the UConn Next Generation Initiative.

Leaks and bursts in the pipe systems were unpredictable, according to UConn Today, with the issues leading to building closures for Torrey Life Sciences and other buildings, in some cases due to lack of support for fire suppression systems.

The project had begun in May of 2017, originally scheduled to conclude before the end of the calendar year. However, unforeseen complications continuously pushed the date back, according to UConn Today.

Crews encountered various problems in continuing work including mistakes in the original blueprints and extremely hard rock and cement, according to UConn Today. To combat bedrock, the construction crews have used heavy duty machinery to try and excavate as much of the space as possible.

For some students, this machinery has caused a major disruption in their everyday lives.

“The jackhammering just doesn’t stop,” said James Pillsbury, a freshman engineering student and North Campus resident. “It’s endless.”

As well, the multiple pipe bursts throughout the year have led to difficulties in the residence halls such as loss of hot water according to freshman environmental studies major and resident Emma Robinson.

On September 28th, the North and Northwest Residence halls lost all hot water for the overnight hours to allow workers to repair steam lines in neighboring halls, according to an email sent by Raymond Hebert, an Area Manager for North and Northwest Campus.

Collin Sitz is a campus correspondant for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at collin.sitz@uconn.edu