Field Hockey: Yep, still undefeated

Field Hockey, still no. 1 in the nation, improved to 11-0 on the season, 3-0 Big East. (Alexis Taylor/ The Daily Campus)

UConn field hockey stayed undefeated on Friday with a 2-0 victory against Providence, followed by a 8-0 victory on Sunday against UMass. The Huskies, still no. 1 in the nation, improve to 11-0 on the season, 3-0 Big East.

In game one, UConn got their first penalty corner in the eighth minute, leading to two shots that would be saved by Providence goalkeeper Megan Guilbert. The Huskies failed to capitalize on a man-up opportunity in the 19th following a Providence green card. Ultimately, the half would end with both sides scoreless. Providence failed to get a single shot off. UConn led 8-0 in shots and 5-0 in penalty corners.

The Huskies made several shots to kick off the second half, but they wouldn’t score until the 57th minute. Margot van Hecking Colenbrander would convert the penalty corner with assists from Amanda Collins and Charlotte Veitner.

Svea Boker got the unassisted insurance goal in the 68th to give UConn their 2-0 victory. Providence failed to record a single shot in the game. This would be UConn’s 20th consecutive Big East victory.

On Sunday, the Huskies were back in action against UMass (8-3). UConn sank one into the back of the net within the first five minutes, but the shot came from outside of the circle and didn’t count. Three corners for UConn in the first half, all taken by Antonia Tiedtke as Veitner was out with a concussion.

“We’re hoping that she’ll be ready to go on Friday,” head coach Nancy Stevens said on the team’s leading goal-scorer.

The first goal of the game came in the 13th off a pass following a corner. Casey Umstead was credited the goal, with assists from Boker and van Hecking Colenbrander.

“She’s one of the top players in the country. We can put her anywhere and she’s going to do a great job,” Stevens said of Umstead. “Her hockey IQ is so off the charts, and she brings that dimension to our team. It’s not easy (to play multiple positions).”

The Huskies scored again in the 24th. Jessica Dembrowski had a breakaway run towards the goal but ended up at an angle too difficult to shoot from. She made a quick pass to Amanda Collins who knocked it past the goalkeeper to make it 2-0 UConn after the first half.

An offensive explosion in the second half propelled the Huskies to their 8-0 victory. First, Tiedtke delivered a successful shot in the 41st after a penalty corner, with assists from Umstead and Collins. Then Tiedtke shot another goal through, unassisted, in the 42nd. Topping off her hat-trick, Tiedtke converted another penalty corner in the 46th, again with assists from Umstead and Collins.

“(Tiedtke) is so conscientious, because she knew that she was (Veitner’s) understudy. So she came out and practiced on her own for hours so that if her time came she would be up to the task. She gets a lot of credit,” Stevens said. “I’m really happy for her.”

The offense continued as Dembrowski notched her first career goal off yet another penalty corner in the 52nd, assist points going to van Hecking Colenbrander and Collins. Collins scored her second of the game in the 57th, unassisted. Finally, to finish out the game, van Hecking Colenbrander converted a penalty corner in the 64th, assisted by Collins and Tiedtke. UConn had a 26-5 advantage in shots and a 10-2 advantage in penalty corners.

We’ve really made a commitment not to be complacent. Some teams can relax when they’re playing well but we’ve really made a commitment to bring our best effort and try to play to a harder standard.
— Head coach Nancy Stevens

The 8-0 score would go final, and Stevens would record her 650th win, adding to her record as winningest coach in NCAA DI Field Hockey history.

“Cherie and Paul have been my assistant coaches for 17 seasons and were a part of a lot of those wins” Stevens said of the honor. “They also get a lot of credit”

“We’ve really made a commitment not to be complacent. Some teams can relax when they’re playing well but we’ve really made a commitment to bring our best effort and try to play to a harder standard,” Stevens said on the success of the win. “I give our players a lot of credit for being able to do that.”

UConn field hockey has two away tilts next weekend, the first will be Friday against Big East opponent Villanova, and the second will be Sunday against Princeton.

Rachel Schaefer is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.