Field Hockey: Klein makes history as UConn runs over Georgetown

UConn has a new all-time leader in shutouts after goaltender Nina Klein backstopped the Huskies to a 10-0 victory over Georgetown on Saturday. (Alexis Taylor/The Daily Campus)

UConn has a new all-time leader in shutouts after goaltender Nina Klein backstopped the Huskies to a 10-0 victory over Georgetown on Saturday.

The shutout was the 34th of Klein’s career, passing the previous mark set by Sarah Mansfield. It also pushed the Huskies record to 15-0 on the season.

The senior goalkeeper was quick to throw praise to her teammates.

“The hard work has paid off but I also have to thank the teammates in front of me,” said Klein. “For a team that only gives up two or three shots a game, they make my job a lot easier.”

The defense in front of Klein is so dominant the Huskies were able to spend a portion of the game without a goalkeeper to mind the net and still didn’t surrender a goal.

Approaching 10 minutes left in the game and with her team ahead 9-0, head coach Nancy Stevens pulled Klein from the game and inserted a Kicking Back. The move gave the Huskies an extra attacker but at the cost of an unprotected net.

The move was made as a way to prepare for a situation the Huskies might see in the future, according to Stevens.

“There’s going to be a time in-game, whether it’s the postseason, that we may be behind. If you’re behind you’ve got to pull the goalie and add an extra attacker,” said Stevens. “It’s a way to get other things out of the game that we need to.”

Stevens said that Georgetown shouldn’t interpret the move as an insult.

“I don’t think it’s disrespectful,” said Stevens. “It’s a tactic that we are using and trying to get better at. It’s smart coaching and preparing your team. ”

Per usual, the Huskies received some stellar offensive performances to go along with their stout defense.

Seniors Charlotte Veitner and Casey Umstead combined for seven goals and four assists. Margot van Hecking Colenbrander, Barbara van den Hoogen and Amanda Collins rounded out the scoring for the Huskies.

Veitner got the Huskies on the board quickly, scoring two goals in the games’ first four minutes. She added another two goals in the first half to give the forward her 16th career hat trick before halftime.

Stevens believes the fast start was crucial to the Huskies’ victory.

“We came out like a lightning bolt,” said Stevens. “We thought this was going to be a closer game than it was but we just started out so strong and played so well.”

The Huskies are back in action for a two-game slate next weekend. On Friday, UConn will travel to Quinnipiac to take on their in-state and Big East-rival. That game will take place at 3 p.m. The Huskies will then be back in Storrs to welcome Boston College for a 1 p.m. game on Sunday.

Bryan Lambert is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at bryan.lambert@uconn.edu.