Chuck and Augie’s possibly leaving Student Union

Chuck and Augie's days in the Student Union might be numbered after the university reviews the results of a bid process by private restaurants. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Chuck and Augie’s Restaurant may be leaving the University of Connecticut’s Student Union.

The university is currently reviewing the results of a bid process by private restaurants to replace Chuck and Augie’s, UConn spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said.  

“That’d be kind of sad.” Matt Mcclintock, a fifth-semester biomedical engineering major, said of the possibility of Chuck and Augie’s closing.

Reitz said the university began to consider this option after reviewing all of Dining Service’s offerings on campus, one of which is Chuck and Augie’s where students can use meal plan points after 3:00 p.m.

“I like it when I used to have points at the end of the semester,” fifth-semester biomedical engineering major Katya Morozov said. “It was a good place to go hang out with friends and use points.”

Students said they value this unique aspect of the restaurant.

“It’s nice [that they take points].” Mcclintock said. “It saves me money.”

Reitz said shutting down Chuck and Augie’s would allow Dining Services to focus on its other operations.

“[This change] would give Dining Services the opportunity to focus specifically on its core mission—serving almost 5.8 million meals yearly in dining halls, cafes, markets, food trucks and among other venues—rather than operating an on-campus restaurant,” Reitz said.

The Nutmeg Grill, which preceded Chuck and Augie’s, was opened more than a decade ago, when food options in Storrs center and elsewhere near campus were much more limited, Reitz said.

“As this market has grown considerably, we’ve seen many new eateries open in the Storrs areas,” Reitz said. “We believe the time is right to explore whether outside restaurant operators might be interested in this on-campus location.”

UConn publicized it’s request for proposals for a “traditional sit-down restaurant” in late July. The bidding period ended in late September, Reitz said.

“The proposals would be evaluated based on whether they can meet the community’s needs for high-quality food, careful preparation, excellent customer service and the use of healthy, locally sourced ingredients,” Reitz said.

A committee is currently reviewing the bids, and if they move forward and negotiate a contract, that information will remain confidential until a final agreement is in place, Reitz said.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.