Dreamers: A band with great music made by great people

Dreamers performs at the Meadows Music Festival in Queens, NY. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

In the mood for music reminiscent of early rock that has lyrics about life today? Need a new obsession with a band whose music is as great as the people who make it? Then, you must listen to the alternative rock band Dreamers. They are a band that has been constantly hitting the charts on Sirius Radio’s Alt Nation with their singles “Wolves (You Got Me),” “Drugs,” “Sweet Disaster” and “Painkiller,” their most recent single off of their debut album “This Album Does Not Exist.”

They are a band that right from the start created music that was getting the attention of magazines like the “Alternative Press,” who, in 2014, named Dreamers one of their 100 Bands You Need To Know. After dropping their first album in summer of 2016, Dreamers have been touring with bands like The Maine, who they are currently supporting on tour, and Night Riots. They are a band whose music is great and, from a recent interview, have members who are equally great.

On Friday, I had the chance to call the lead singer of Dreamers, Nick Wold, and talk to him about the music he and his band members have created over the past few years.

In their song “Sweet Disaster,” the lyrics mention bands like the Ramones and the Rolling Stones which Wold confirmed are inspirations for the band.

“A lot of our music is us just trying to relive this rock n’ roll dream of all of those bands,” Wold said. “So, (Sweet Disaster) is kind of about growing up and listening to them and trying to pretend that you’re in a past era.”

Anyone who listens to their songs can hear the influence of rock n’ roll UK bands and it brings a nostalgic feeling to the music while also sounding fresh and current.

Since Dreamers dropped their first single, three years ago, they have gained popularity and seen larger crowds at their concerts. Wold commented on their climb from being in a studio in Brooklyn working on a few songs to now being in Los Angeles, touring constantly.

“It’s been an amazing couple of years. We’ve been working really hard towards that goal (of being a well-known band),” Wold said. Seeing it kind of come together and seeing the crowds grow has been crazy. It’s the dream. And it just makes me more excited to keep working hard, keep writing music.”

He also expanded on how, when he moved to New York from Seattle when he was only 18, this move was exactly what he had in mind.

“It was definitely a premeditated dream. We wanted to start a band and I realized I wanted to get back to my roots of rock and really try to do it up,” Wold said.

While we talked about where the band is now, Wold mentioned the best parts of performing live.

“Seeing people singing the lyrics to the songs. It’s like this kind of immediate connection,” Wold said. “I feel like playing (alternative) and rock music is always kind of a beacon for a certain kind of like-minded people. So, it’s cool to go around and find those people. It’s crazy being in a new place every night and meeting them.”

The band has not reached its peak, though, Wold said. He said he still hopes that the band’s reach will keep expanding, especially over the pond.

“One place we always wanted to tour, and still haven’t gotten to, is the UK. A lot of my favorite music came from there, like The Beatles and the Rolling Stones,” Wold said. “We’re excited to expand there, which will probably be in 2018”.

Dreamers is still creating music, Wold said.

“We’ve actually been writing all summer. We’ve written tons of songs and an album is in the works,” Wold said.

Hopefully a new Dreamers album will be dropped soon, but until then, anyone who has yet to check them out has time to catch up and people who have been fans of them since the start can to go back and listen to all their great songs again. Dreamers is on tour right now and will be performing at the Palladium in Worcester, Massachusetts on Nov. 7 supporting The Maine. If anyone can make it, they are definitely a band to see.

Kassidy Manness is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kassidy.manness@uconn.edu.