The Halloween classics we fell in love with

All the favorite halloween movie classics—from "Halloweentown" to "The Nightmare Before Christmas" (Meaghan Kelly/Creative Commons)

Halloweentown: “Halloweentown” came out in 1998, but it remains a staple for Halloween. The movie follows a 13-year-old girl named Marnie who discovers she has magic. Marnie and her brothers follow their grandmother on her bus ride home only to find themselves in Halloweentown. While there, Marnie and her grandmother get attacked by an evil force and have to bring the power back to Merlin’s wand to stop it. The movie has led to several sequels, including “Halloweentown II,” “Halloweentown High” and “Return to Halloweentown.” Catch the movie on Oct. 28 at 11 a.m. on Disney Channel.

Twitches: In this 2005 classic, Tia and Tamera Mowry play twins who were separated at birth. They meet on their 21st birthday and discover they are witches who were born in the magic realm, Coventry. The twins must return to the land, rather unwillingly, to save their birth mother and their kingdom from the Darkness. The movie does a great job of balancing humor with its serious plotline and the visuals are beautiful. It is a must-watch for this time of year, along with its sequel, “Twitches Too.”

Hocus Pocus: It’s not Halloween unless you are watching “Hocus Pocus.” In this 1993 classic, three evil Sanderson sisters have been dead for over 300 years, executed for practicing magic. After they are accidentally resurrected by a teenager named Max, they begin their quest for immortality and the only ones who can stop them are three kids and an immortal cat. You can watch this iconic Halloween movie tonight at 8:50 p.m. on Freeform.

The Nightmare Before Christmas: The 1993 film, “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” is a hybrid between a Halloween and Christmas movie, but it is a classic that needs to be watched this week. The story follows Jack Skellington, the king of Halloween Town, as he discovers the existence of Christmas Town. Jack is fascinated by it and with the help of his subjects in Halloween Town, he attempts to take over Christmas. The movie is done entirely in claymation and is a masterpiece of our time. Watch it this afternoon at 3 p.m. on Freeform.

The Little Vampire: This 2000 movie follows the story of Tony, a lonely boy looking for a friend. He meets a boy named Rudolph, only to discover that his new friend is a vampire whose family is in trouble. With Tony’s help, the two endeavor to find the amulet needed to save the vampires and to fight off the family of vampire hunters in the area.

Mom’s Got a Date with a Vampire: This Disney Halloween favorite came out in 2000 and follows the story of the Hansen family. Kids Adam and Chelsea both have plans for the night, but these are faltered when they both end up grounded. They set their mom up on a date so they can sneak out of the house while she is gone, but the plan quickly goes awry when they begin to suspect their mom’s date is a vampire.

Phantom of the Megaplex: This 2000 Disney movie is loosely based off of “The Phantom of the Opera.” 17-year-old Pete Riley works at a movie theater that is rumored to be haunted. On the night of a major premiere, the equipment and staff start to go haywire, and Pete is left to investigate the true cause of the issues. If you are awake, the movie will be on Disney Channel on Oct 30 at 3 a.m.

Courtney Gavitt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at courtney.gavitt@uconn.edu.