Lawmakers hopeful for bipartisan vote on new budget proposal

Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy speaks with reporters Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2017, during a press conference in Hartford, Conn., held in response to house and senate leaders announced a bipartisan budget deal was close to completion. "I think it's progress, " said Malloy, in the absence of an actual budget, "it's very difficult to celebrate." (Mark Mirko /The Courant via AP)

The University of Connecticut’s state subsidy would be cut by $65 million in each of the next two years under Connecticut’s new proposed budget.

The $130 million total cut is a reduction from the over $300 million cut to UConn proposed in a budget that was vetoed by Gov. Dannel Malloy after passing the Connecticut General Assembly on Saturday, Sept. 16.

Lawmakers may vote on the newest proposal this week after Sunday, marking 114 days without a state budget.

The new proposal would also cut the budget for the Board of Regents for Higher Education by $14 million in the first year and $21 million in the second year.

Money for college scholarships previously cut would be restored, according to the Hartford Courant.

The proposed budget would also increase the tax on cigarettes by 45 cents a package, according to the Connecticut Mirror. That tax would tie Connecticut with New York, who currently has the highest cigarette taxes in the country.

After one year it would eliminate the Car Tax, meaning residents would no longer pay property taxes on their cars.

Under the new proposed budget, teachers will be required to contribute 7 percent of their income toward their pensions instead of the 6 percent they currently pay, according to the Connecticut Mirror.

The plan does not involve sales or income tax increases, but it eliminates the earned income tax credit, which “assists the working poor,” according to the Hartford Courant.

House speaker Joe Aresimowicz (D-Berlin) told the Hartford Courant he believes the House will produce the votes to pass the proposed budget.

“Obviously we’re going to appreciate the bipartisan vote. I’m absolutely confident that a vast majority of the House Democrats will vote in favor of this budget,” Aresimowicz said.

Aresimowicz said some details in the bill remain unfinished, including exactly how much funding each of Connecticut’s towns will receive, but lawmakers have resolved the major details they have debated for the past eight months.

Lawmakers are hoping for enough support for the bill to be able to pass by a veto proof majority in case Gov. Malloy vetoes the budget like he did to last month’s budget proposal, according to WTNH.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.