Spring Hill Inn reopens guest rooms days after explosion injures six

The explosion occurred right before a wine-tasting fundraiser for the Windham Area Interfaith Ministry was expected to begin. (Courtesy/airbnb)

As of Monday, the guest rooms are open for use at Mansfield’s Spring Hill Inn, two days after Saturday evening explosion injuring six people occurred.

“The guest rooms are open after being cleared by state and local authorities for all possible safety and health concerns. The kitchen and private event spaces remain closed indefinitely as the proper investigations continue,” co-innkeeper Diane Lambert said in a Facebook message.

Lambert said herself and her husband and inn owner Lee Lambert continue to be deeply saddened and deeply concerned for the injured and will do anything possible to assist them.

Fire officials said the damage caused by the explosion was contained to where it occurred in the kitchen.

Multiple ambulances and LifeStar were requested to the scene and one person had to be airlifted to Hartford Hospital, according to NBC Connecticut.

Witnesses inside of the building told WFSB that most of the injuries sustained were burns and those injured were conscious and alert after the explosion. State police spokeswoman Kelly Grant said their injuries appeared to be non-life threatening.

The explosion occurred right before a wine-tasting fundraiser for the Windham Area Interfaith Ministry was expected to begin.

Director Victoria Nimirowski told WFSB about 20 guests were inside when the blast happened.

There “was a whoosh of air followed by glass breaking and then the explosion,” Nimirowski said.

Witnesses said they smelled gas before the explosion.

“There was a big flash kind of out of my periphery. Kind of had my back to it I think. Then a boom and then a little force,” Rick Haverly of Coventry told NBC Connecticut.

The Spring Hill Inn sent “love and heartfelt wishes for healing to all” in a Facebook post on Saturday.

“We send our sincere gratitude to the Mansfield Fire Dept, all first responders and all who lent a hand to comfort and care for those injured and traumatized by tonight’s emergency,” the post read.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.