UConn in the NBA: Kemba dominating, Drummond hitting his FTs

Charlotte Hornets guard Kemba Walker controls the ball between Detroit Pistons center Andre Drummond (0) and forward Tobias Harris (34) during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Wednesday, Oct. 18,2017, in Detroit. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)

Tuesday night officially marks a week since NBA basketball came back and for those who can’t believe we’re already this far in, just remember—time flies when you’re having fun. While that statement rings true for us student fans, it also seems to be true for the alumni who are out there playing, although some more than others. It’s time to check in and see how our fellow Huskies have been looking through the first week of the season.

Kemba Walker: As expected, Charlotte Hornets point guard Kemba Walker is having the best year of his career, although it has only been two games. The Hornets stand just 1-1 in the standings, but Walker is thriving, averaging 25 points, 6.5 assists and 5 rebounds per game, all while shooting 46.2 percent from the field and 45.5 percent from three. Those numbers mark career-highs for Walker, and while some regression may be due after only two games, the guard looks the best he’s ever been on the court.

Andre Drummond: Drummond’s year looks like a statistical letdown so far, as he is averaging fewer points and rebounds than he did this past year. What Drummond is doing, however, may be more important to his team’s success than him putting up more points and rebounds. Through three games the Detroit Pistons are 2-1 and Drummond is averaging a career-high 2.3 assists per game to go along with a mindboggling success rate from the free throw line. If Drummond can continue to prove he is willing to make the extra pass when teammates dump the ball on him and connect at the free throw line when other teams put him there, this could be the season in which he shows that he’s a winning basketball player and well worth the money for Detroit.

Rudy Gay: Through two games, Gay looks to be adjusting nicely to his new role off the bench in San Antonio. He’s averaging near career-lows in points, rebounds and assists, but this is to be expected when he’s playing 23 minutes per game, the least he has played in his career. He is averaging 13 points and 4 rebounds per game while shooting 50 percent from the field, a career-high. Gay looks like a reliable player off the bench already, and he’s doing this while learning a new system and working back from a season-ending injury, so you can’t really ask for much more.

Jeremy Lamb: Lamb is having a solid season so far playing next to his old Husky buddy Walker. He’s putting up career marks in points, rebounds and assists while averaging the most minutes of his career so far and starting both games. For Lamb to hold on to his starting role, he’ll have to keep up this production while also raising his field-goal percentage, which sits at 40.7 percent, and his 3-point percentage, as he hasn’t made one from in deep in eight attempts through two games.

Shabazz Napier: The former UConn point guard has yet again been uninspiring this season, averaging 5 points and one assist in 10.3 minutes per game. The only thing that stands out for Napier right now are his percentages from the field and 3-point line, which both sit at 66.7 percent. Through three games Napier looks like the same player from last year, which doesn’t bode too well for his future in the league.

Zac Lane is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zachary.d.lane@uconn.edu.