Roundtable: What's your favorite Halloween memory?

The Daily Campus Life Section discuss their most memorable Halloweens. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

Schae Beaudoin, Life Editor

I remember being at the ripe age of 11 and full of preteen anger toward my fifth grade teacher. In my defense, she was pretty mean and my best friend’s cool older brother seemed to agree. He suggested we egg her house on Halloween, seeing as she lived near him. He bought a carton of eggs before we were to go out for the night. Our plans came shattering down when my mom decided I was too young to go out alone with friends and decided to tag along. I tried my hardest to argue with her and get her to stay home, but she was not convinced my friend’s 14-year-old brother was capable of supervision (I mean, she was totally right). And so, what was supposed to be a night of good, old fashioned pranking turned into me being embarrassed that my mom was following me and my friends around, grossed out that my friend’s brother was carrying rotting eggs in a pillowcase and ultimately, I never got that sweet revenge on my awful fifth grade teacher.

Julia Mancini, Associate Life Editor

My favorite Halloween memory would have to be from my senior year of high school, even though I spent the majority of the day completing college applications. My friends and I all wore really cute group costumes (my best friend and I were Blair and Serena from “Gossip Girl”) but only to take a couple of pictures in her backyard. We literally spent the night with our parents and didn’t go out at all except to bring a plate of cookies to one of our friends who was sick, to pick up some other friends from a party and to stop by a bonfire. Afterwards, we all ate the candy that was leftover from trick-or-treaters while we marathoned every “Scream” movie. We fell asleep with, like, six or seven of us all piled onto a couch. It was maybe the most relaxed Halloween I’d ever had, but it was my favorite because it was the last one I would have at home with my best friends.

Chris Hanna, Associate Sports Editor

My sophomore year of high school, one of my best friends hosted a little camping party. The camping part was just a huge tent like 15 feet from his house. We hooked up a small, old TV with an extension cable to the house and watched a bunch of Halloween movies before hitting the hay. Sleep in that tent was pretty uncomfortable, so I woke up in the middle of the night, and what I woke up to was the small, old TV glowing a bloody red color with nobody else awake. Needless to say, I was pretty freaked out and kept my eyes open for anyone trying to kill us outside the tent. Eventually, I passed out again, but the next morning, one of my friends told me that he saw me standing upright and looking at the TV as if I was controlling/summoning the bloody TV. I have no idea how he thought I could’ve been doing that, but I suppose that is the Halloween effect.

Melissa Scrivani, Staff Writer

My favorite Halloween memory was in 2011, when I was 13. There was a huge nor'easter that week, which led to power outages and no school for several days. You’d think that this would lead to a bad Halloween, but it was actually the most memorable for me. My best friends and I got all dressed up in the dark and went trick-or-treating all over my hometown, trying to find any houses that had power. Having no lights on around town made everything extra eerie and spooky, which was perfect for Halloween. After collecting a huge bag of candy, my best friend and I went back to my house to have a sleepover. We spent the night huddled under blankets in my room surrounded by flashlights and candles, watching Halloween movies on a portable DVD player and eating all of our candy. Not having power wouldn’t usually be ideal, but it ended up creating the perfect Halloween vibe.

Calista Giroux, Campus Correspondent

My favorite Halloween memory was when a group of my friends and I all decided that we wanted to do a bloody masquerade theme for Halloween. We drove down to our local Goodwill to see if we could find any prom dresses or formal-ish wear to splatter in fake blood. Luckily, there was an entire section dedicated to very regal, vintage-looking dresses that were torn and tattered. It took us only two hours to raid Goodwill for all of our dresses and supplies before we got back to my house to get started on our fake blood. A few hours later, we were coated in fake blood outside on an extremely windy day trying to splatter blood onto the dresses. In all, the dresses turned out very nice and we drew outlines of bloody masks on our faces to complete the gory look. It was a lot of fun to make our own costumes and it got us all into the Halloween mood.

Veronica Eskander, Campus Correspondent

My favorite Halloween memory as a young child is not from one of the numerous years of trick-or-treating and dressing up that I can now only vaguely recall; it was the year 2009, when the swine flu pandemic swept across the nation and left Americans either sick or scared. My household fell into the second category, and my mother was quick to declare that there would be no trick-or-treating for us this year. I was devastated. How could you have Halloween without costumes? Without knocking on neighbors’ doors, asking for candy? Well, I soon found out that a day spent in with family was far more memorable. That year, instead of wandering down the streets through the chilly October night, I stayed in, ate Halloween candy and watched classics such as “Hocus Pocus” and all four “Halloweentown” movies with my siblings. While my more typical Halloweens have already blended into one another, that year stands out as the happiest.

Lauren Brown, Staff Writer

Back when I was a freshman in high school, my friends and I decided we would celebrate Halloween by watching a scary movie. Not a single one of us particularly liked scary movies, but we decided to tough it out because of the holiday. We watched “The Orphan,” which managed to scare us all way more than we thought it would. We were all on edge in my friend’s living room when a figure suddenly started to bang against the window, so naturally, we all panicked and ran from the room, screaming. I found out later that my friend’s dad had decided to play a little prank on us with a decorative scarecrow they had on their lawn. I’m not the kind of person who gets easily spooked by jump scares, but in that moment, I was sure that my tombstone would read “death by scarecrow.”

Marlese Lessing, News Editor

My favorite Halloween memory would have to be from when I was six. It was 2003, and Halloween fell on a Friday. My family drove up to Southington to meet with some family friends, and we went trick-or-treating in their neighborhood. I was dressed up as a witch, and I must have walked for miles, because I was totally exhausted at the end of the night. But, boy, did I make a heck of a haul. I remember one lady gave me a dog biscuit for some reason and I ended up feeding it to my friend’s massive Bernese mountain dog. After we got back, we traded candy like it was Wall Street; Reese’s Cups were a hot commodity, while Dum-Dums were practically pocket change. Because my parents were up partying, I ended up staying awake until midnight (which is mind-boggling for a six-year-old) all hopped up on candy, and watching the Cartoon Network Friday Night Halloween Special. I had a blast!