Men’s Hockey: Huskies head to Ohio for test against Miami

UConn and Boston College face off in the XL Center in Hartford on Saturday Oct. 21. The Huskies fought hard, but the Terriers came out on top 6-3. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

UConn men’s hockey will look to this weekend’s away series against Miami University to kick start their season after an abysmal start.

The Huskies (2-3-1) are coming off a home and home series with Hockey East rival No. 7 Boston University in which they tied the first game away 2-2, and dropped their home opener, 6-3.

This weekend will be the first time UConn has ever faced off against the RedHawks who play in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference.

Miami (1-3-0) has opened their season against quality opponents facing off against two Hockey East teams in Maine and No. 11 Providence. The RedHawks also recently faced off against United States Under 18’s in an unofficial game.

Junior Grant Hutton leads a potent Miami offense that is averaging 3.25 goals per game. Hutton has a team-leading 5 goals. Every one of the defenseman’s goals have come on the power play. Sophomore Gordie Green has also provided an offensive spark for the RedHawks with 5 assists in the team’s opening four games.

On defense is where Miami has struggled. The Redhawks have allowed 4.25 goals per game as sophomore Ryan Larkin has struggled in his second year as the starting goaltender. Last season, Larkin allowed 2.77 goals per game, almost half the average so far this season.

Following a stellar series last weekend, senior Johnny Austin leads the team in points with 9, one point shy of his career high. Austin tallied 4 points against BU with 1 goal and 3 assists; this brought the Minnesota native atop the Hockey East scoring chart.

Sophomore Alexander Payusov has been a breakout star for the Huskies thus far this season as he leads the team with 6 goals.

In his first season as the full-time start Adam Huska has allowed 2.95 goals per game and has a .905 save percentage. Last season, Huska split time with former Husky Rob Nichols.  

UConn will return to the XL Center in two weeks to take on Vermont in a home series. November is the Huskies busiest month of the season as they will play 10 games.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.