Volleyball: Huskies face Houston and Tulane

The UConn volleyball team continues their four-match home stand this weekend when they take on conference foes Tulane and Houston. (Nicholas Hampton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn volleyball team continues their four-match home stand this weekend when they take on conference foes Tulane and Houston.

UConn’s head coach Kris Grunwald commented on the benefits of not having to travel for two weeks.

“Certainly not having to travel is a plus,” Grunwald said. “Given the road trips in our conference where we leave at 7 a.m. on Thursday and fly to the opponent, compete on Friday, Saturday fly to the next opponent, compete on Sunday and return to campus at 2 a.m. on Monday, those are difficult weekends. Being at home allows us to get a good balance of preparation, training, and rest for the coming matches.”

So far this season, the Huskies are 10-12 overall and 3-7 in the American Athletic Conference.

On Friday, UConn will take on Tulane (12-11, 1-9 AAC). The Green Wave is coming off a home loss against UCF.

Earlier this season when UConn met Tulane the Huskies won 3-1.

The player to watch for Tulane is sophomore Kaylee McHugh. McHugh was named the AAC Defensive Player of the Week for the week of Sept. 11.

In an article that appeared on The Green Wave’s volleyball website Tulanes’ head coach Jim Barnes praised McHugh.

“She’s a major leader for us, and she sets the tone to every practice and match with her fierce focus and determination,” Barnes said. “She was awarded the honor, and rightfully so, because she’s our most valuable player, and she drives our team.”

This is Barnes’ second season as Tulane’s head coach. In his first season, Tulane was the most improved team in the country.

On Sunday, UConn will play Houston (8-10, 4-6 AAC).

Houston is coming off a 3-0 win at home against USF. On Friday Houston will play Temple in Philadelphia.

Earlier this season when the Huskies played Houston, the Cougars swept UConn in straight sets.

Houston is coached by Kaddie Platt who is in her sixth season at the helm of the program.

Grunwald said that there isn’t much of a different preparation when playing teams for a second time in a season.

“Biggest difference is in our film we can now watch how we matched up against them the first time,” Grunwald said. “That allows us much more specific conversations than watching them versus other opponents.”

The Huskies take on Tulane at 7 p.m. on Friday in Guyer Gym.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.