A foodie’s guide to New Haven

Frank Pepe's is a premier pizza spot in New Haven according to life writer Lauren Brown. (Kent Wang/Flickr, Creative Commons)

During the semester, it can be easy to fall into a “food slump.” There aren’t many restaurants here in Storrs, and eating at the same handful of places for date night can get repetitive. For those who love good food and don’t mind the drive, New Haven is the perfect destination for anyone looking to break the food monotony. The city is just a short hour-long drive from the University of Connecticut, and it has a lot to offer. There are too many delicious restaurants to count in New Haven, but here are some spots you need to check out on your next trip down 91.

It would be blasphemous to talk about food in New Haven without mentioning pizza, or as they call it “apizza.” Joints like Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, Modern Apizza and Sally’s Apizza are some of the best pizza places you will find in the United States. These three restaurants draw crowds from all over the country, and have received top awards and praise. Frank Pepe’s, the most well-known of the three, is best known for inventing the wildly popular white clam New Haven-style pizza. Next time you head down to New Haven, take your friends to each apizza parlor and decide for yourself which of these pizzas reign supreme.

White clam pizza is not the only popular food that was created in New Haven. Louis’ Lunch, located right in the heart of New Haven on Crown Street. The Library of Congress recognizes it as the birthplace of the hamburger sandwich. Make sure you stop by this tiny restaurant for a taste of United States food history.

Nestled right across the street from Louis’ Lunch is Bar. Bar serves two things: pizza and salad, and knocks them both out of the park. One of their most popular pizzas is the mashed potato pie, which is just as delectable as it sounds. Even if you are feeling full, Bar also has an extensive bar. Their drink menu features their house beers, house cocktails and a lot of wine. If you happen to visit Bar on the weekend, be sure to stay late into the night, because the back of the restaurant is transformed into a club with live music, a DJ and dancing.

If you are looking for a more low key night out, Cask Republic on Crown Street is a place you need to visit. Cask Republic has a great happy hour special from 3 to 7 p.m. that features delicious $5 cocktails like their Basil Kiwi Gin and Tonic. For beer lovers, Cask Republic also has an amazing beer selection that showcases beer from all over the world and the United States.

For those who don’t eat meat, Claire’s Corner Copia has an extensive meatless menu. The restaurant, founded in 1975, is a staple for many who live in the city. The menu is filled with delicious vegetarian-friendly and organic meals, and many of the menu options can even be made vegan without sacrificing the taste or quality of the meal. I went there with some of my meat-eating friends, and they ate every bite on their plate.  

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.