Field Hockey: Huskies close out the regular season with a perfect record

With a pair of wins the UConn Huskies finished the regular season undefeated (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

It was a two game weekend for the Huskies as they were set to close out their regular season. Game one was set for Friday against Quinnipiac. UConn then returned home for Senior Day against Boston College, rescheduled to Saturday due to rain.

Quinnipiac proved tough competition for the Huskies. Charlotte Veitner was the first on the board for UConn with a goal just eight minutes into the tilt. In the 21st minute, Quinnipiac got one past Nina Klein, a direct shot from the top of the circle following a penalty corner. Lauren Belskie was credited with what would be the first goal scored off of UConn since Oct. 8.

Barbara van den Hoogen notched her fifth goal of the season in the 24th minute, a tap into the goal following one of the ten penalty corners UConn earned during the match. The game went into the second half with a 2-1 lead for the Huskies. Casey Umstead came through with an insurance goal in the 43rd minute, an unassisted dribble through the defense. It was Umstead’s 13th goal of the season and UConn would win 3-1.

The Huskies came home on Saturday after the game was rescheduled from Sunday when the forecast anticipated rain. It was Senior Day for the Huskies and all five UConn seniors were recognized in a pregame ceremony.

“The talent of the senior class is exceptional, and they’re better people off the field,” said head coach Nancy Stevens of her senior class. “If you recruit bright players, they’re going to make really good decisions on and off the field.”

ACC members Boston College came to Storrs and played strong defense. UConn got off 12 shots in the first half but failed to score. BC goalie Sarah Dwyer saved half of the shots and the other half were blocked by defenders. The first half ended in a scoreless tie, with BC failing to get off a single shot.

“We had twelve shots and five attack corners but their goalkeeper played well, their defense played well. It’s like a stonecutter,” Stevens explained. “We’re just chipping away and if you put enough pressure on the other team, they’ll break.”

The Huskies broke open the scoring in the second half. Amanda Collins scored in the first five minutes with an assist from Jessica Dembrowski. It was Collins’ 10th goal of the season. Next up was Veitner, the leading scorer for the Huskies. She scored once, unassisted, in the 52nd minute to put her team up 2-0. Finally, in the 68th, Dembrowski scored her sixth of the season with an assist from Vivienne Tucker, giving UConn a 3-0 that would go final, ensuring an undefeated regular season and a Big East championship.

We’re just chipping away and if you put enough pressure on the other team, they’ll break
— Head coach Nancy Stephens

“What we’re really happy about is today’s performance,” Stevens said. “To bring in an ACC team that has been nationally ranked, I think they came in as number 11 in the country, and to shut them out and get the three goals. And all three goals were really brilliant. It was such a great performance.”

“[We’re feeling] very good. We were able to play back to back which means our fitness is good, and it’s going to be a challenge,” Stevens said on facing Providence in the Big East semifinals on Nov. 3. “We’re going to have to be very good on Friday to win.”

Rachel Schaefer is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.