Field Hockey: Senior day a reminder of records, unfinished business

The UConn senior class has been dominant of the course of their careers, but are not done yet (Alexis Taylor/The Daily Campus)

Prior to their 3-0 win over Boston College, the Huskies honored their seniors Karlie Heistand, Nina Klein, Maureen Schott, Casey Umstead and Carlotte Veitner.  With an 81-6 record, they are the winningest class in program history.

The senior class also leaves UConn with a handful of individual awards.

Nina Klein’s 35 career shutouts are a team record. Klein also holds the record for most career wins with 80.

Charlotte Veitner’s 25-goal senior campaign has permanently etched the senior’s name in UConn’s record books. The forward’s 109-career goal total is the most in program history. Veitner is also tops in points (280) and assists (62).

Veitner says that she and her teammates have come a long way since first putting on a UConn jersey.

“On the field, we’re just so well connected. We can read each other’s play so well,” said Veitner.

“We don’t really have to talk a whole lot.”

As accomplished a senior class as this is, head coach Nancy Stevens believes her seniors deserve praise for their time away from the field as well.

It’s a body of work they put together they should be really proud of.
— Head coach Nancy Stephens

“They’re better people off the field. If you recruit bright players, they’re going to make good decisions on and off the field,” said Stevens.  “They’re really bright young women. They make us look awfully good.”

For the second time in four years, this senior class will end the regular season with an undefeated record, having previously done so in 2015.  

With the playoff loaming, it’s hard to relish in the accomplishment too much.

“[It’s something for] after they graduate, get together again,” said Stevens. “It’s a body of work they put together they should be really proud of.”

UConn’s next matchup is against Providence in the opening round of the Big East Tournament. The Friars were one of the few teams to come to Storrs and give the Huskies a competitive game. With the rematch taking place in Providence this time, no one is overlooking the Friars to reminisce on four years.

“It’s breathtaking and I’m really grateful I was able to come here. What we’ve accomplished as a team is something unbelievable and I’m probably going to remember it for the rest of my life,” said Veitner. “I don’t even realize it yet. We still have so much ahead of us.”

“The most important games are still ahead of us.”

The No.1 ranked Huskies, their records and their 17-game winning streak will arrive in Providence next weekend for the Big East Tournament. Friday’s game against Providence will be at 1:00 p.m. If the Huskies win, they will play for the Big East title on Sunday.  

Bryan Lambert is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at bryan.lambert@uconn.edu.