Men's Basketball: UConn faces Merrimack in exhibition at XL center

Redshirt freshman Alterique Gilbert (pictured) moves the ball in the Huskies last exhibition game. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s basketball team will return home and take on Merrimack in their second exhibition game out of three on Monday night at the XL Center in Hartford.

UConn dropped a sloppy exhibition contest against Providence on Wednesday, 90-76. The Huskies and Friars raised over $75,000 for hurricane relief in front of a crowd of 6,415 fans at Mohegan Sun Arena. Eleven Huskies rotated through the lineup, with David Onuorah (hip) and Sidney Wilson (eligibility issues) being the only ones to sit out.

Unsurprisingly, sophomore Christian Vital and junior Jalen Adams, the only two to have played the entirety of last season, led the Huskies in scoring, with 17 and 22 points, respectively.

Freshman forward Tyler Polley (pictured) fights for a rebound against Providence in their exhibition defeat last week (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The rest of the team, however, did not fare as well. The new-look Huskies struggled on both sides of the ball, finishing 23-for-62 (37.1 percent) from the floor and allowing Providence to shoot 9-for-17 (52.9 percent) from 3-point range.

UConn will face an easier opponent in Division II Merrimack. The Huskies are 53-7 in exhibition games and have not lost one at home since 1993.

Tipoff is at 7 p.m. The game will be broadcasted on the UConn IMG Radio Network and Husky Vision will be setting up a live stream.

Stephanie Sheehan is the managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at stephanie.sheehan@uconn.edu. She tweets @steph_sheehan.