Most Popular/Overused Halloween Costumes: What to avoid dressing up as

This weekend, everyone who loves free candy and a good party got dressed to the nines in a variety of “spooky” costumes. Now the real question is: Which of these costumes were the most overused?  (Tomas Del Coro/Flickr Creative Commons)

Every year around Halloween, children and college kids alike take a few moments to decide on the perfect costume. Sometimes these “few moments” take a lot of thought, or a trip to the local party store. Sometimes they take way less time. Sometimes they’re home sewn and utterly fantastic. Sometimes they’re a T-shirt, jeans and a pair of plastic fangs from CVS. This weekend, everyone who loves free candy and a good party got dressed to the nines in a variety of “spooky” costumes. Now the real question is: Which of these costumes were the most overused?

As always, there were the basics. There was an array of vampires and zombies wandering across campus. Often differentiated from each other by some sort of theme. Zombies tended to take on personas. For instance, there was an ancient Greek zombie wandering near Mirror Lake. There was also a zombie bride hanging out in the Student Union. Basically, a zombie is any costume that has fake blood squirted all over it. Vampires ranged from incredibly pale guys wearing an abnormal amount of dark eyeshadow, to girls that popped in a cheap pair of fangs in lieu of a more elaborate costume. Both zombies and vampires appeared in hoards wherever alcohol or candy was served.

After the undead, the superheroes were the most abundant. Iron Men in full body suits, padded thick with red “metal” muscles, casually strolled down the sidewalks. When scoffed at, they tended to be quick to retort that Iron Man is obviously “the best superhero.” Where there wasn’t an Iron Man patrolling, a Batman was lurking. Oddly enough, Batman never appeared in the form of a man at all. He tended to be a girl dressed in a black crop top and a ragged cape.  

In one run in between an Edna Mode and a Batman, Mode remarked with disdain, “No capes.”

There was also a couple of Wonder Woman ambling about. Unlike the character they mimicked, these Wonder Woman tended to be wearing tutus. They seemed only slightly less ready for a fight than their idol.

In dress similar to that of Wonder Woman, minus the addition of a set of wings, entire flocks of fairies flitted around throughout Storrs. They often appeared in pink, blue and green.

There was also a notable amount of costumes that made the wearer appear to be riding something else. A guy riding a dinosaur clomped down the street near the Student Union, while a dude being carried around by Donald Trump was sighted at a party in Hartford.

For those out there that have yet to pick out the perfect ensemble for the 31st, it might be best to avoid costumes similar to those listed above. Originality is key at this time of year. Imagine the embarrassment of one vampire being told to go home and change after arriving at a party full of fanged versions of his friends. Now that would be a truly frightening Halloween.

Rebecca Maher is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.l.maher@uconn.edu.