UCPD reaccreditation hearing Tuesday

As part of the University of Connecticut Police Department’s reaccreditation process, a public information session will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 31 at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center Konover Auditorium.  (The Daily Campus/stock photo)

As part of the University of Connecticut Police Department’s reaccreditation process, a public information session will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 31 at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center Konover Auditorium.

“Being accredited has (helped) us demonstrate to our community that we strive to work at a higher level,” Deputy Chief Maggie Silver said. “We want our officers and community to feel pride in the fact that we are accredited.”

Silver said the information session provides community members with the opportunity to voice concerns or opinions about the UCPD’s operations and policies.

“The public hearing gives a voice and an independent forum to allow the community to give their opinion about the relationship between the department and the community,” Silver said.

The on-site assessment will be conducted by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies.

Silver said participating in this process is not mandatory for UCPD.

“By voluntarily submitting to CALEA Accreditation, we are making a commitment to our department and our UConn community that we will conform to the highest standards of the Law Enforcement profession,” Silver said.

Silver said this process helps UCPD find ways to make the department more effective.

“The accreditation process provides a road map that becomes instrumental in identifying areas of improvements,” Silver said.

Anyone who cannot make it to the public hearing may call in comments to 860-486-5196 or 860-486-5183 on Tuesday, October 31, 2017, between 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.

Calls are limited to ten minutes and must address UCPD’s ability to comply with Commission Standards according to a public notice released by the UCPD.

People may also submit written comments to:

The Commission for Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc.

13575 Heathcoate Boulevard, Suite 320

Gainesville, VA 20155

For more information regarding the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc., and the accreditation process people can visit their website, write to the address above or call (703) 352-4225.  

People may also contact UCPD at 860-486-4800.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.