Volleyball: Turner and McGary shine despite losses

Junior Emma Turner impressed in the Huskies home match against Tulane over the weekend (Ryan Murace/The Daily Campus)

The UConn volleyball team (10-14, 3-9 American Athletic Conference) lost two heartbreakers this weekend but despite the losses juniors Emma Turner and Iman McGary still stood out.

Against Tulane, Turner posted her third double-double of the season with 41 assists and 12 digs, a good play for the team highs in both categories.

Last season, Turner led the team in assists and was 10th in the AAC in that category.

In the first match against Tulane on Friday, Turner was a driving force.

She is wise beyond her years and helps manage things within the program.
— Head coach Kris Grunwald

In the first set, Turner had three straight sets to help knot the score at 8-8. The Huskies lost the set despite Turner’s four assists.

UConn head coach Kris Grunwald praised Turner’s leadership skills.

“Emma is one of the leaders of this program,” Grunwald said. “She is wise beyond her years and helps manage things within the program.”

In the match against Houston on Sunday Turner tallied 15 digs.

During this weekend’s matches outside hitter McGary also proved to be a strong force.

Against Tulane, McGary collected a season and match best of 15 kills.

In the fourth set, UConn was able to take an early 7-4 advantage behind five straight serves from McGary.

McGary tallied her first double-double of the season against Houston with 14 kills and 14 digs.

Last season McGary’s 2.14 kills per set were good for the fourth-best average of the team. In addition, she also accomplished her first 100-point season last year.

Coach Grunwald spoke highly of McGary after Sunday’s game against Houston.

“Iman did a nice job today while switching from the right side to left side attacking,” Grunwald said. “She continues to be a solid ball handler and defender while attacking wherever she is needed.  She plays a huge roll in the passing and defensive scheme so her play has been important in keeping us in system.”

The Huskies play next on Friday at Wichita State.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.