Women's Hockey: UConn splits in series with St. Cloud State

UConn women's hockey went 1-1 on the weekend at St. Cloud State. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team started their weekend with a thrilling victory, 1-0 in overtime Friday night against St. Cloud State, but lost 3-2 Saturday night.

Shortly into overtime, freshman Natalie Snodgrass’ shot catapulted the Huskies to victory Friday night at the Herb Brooks National Hockey Center in Minnesota. Senior Theresa Knutson had the game-winning assist to Snodgrass in front of the net.

She is playing with confidence right now and we hope it continues.
— Head coach Chris Mackenzie

UConn head coach Chris Mackenzie said he was happy with her start.

“Natalie had a good weekend generating offense with 12 shots on goal in two games,” said Mackenzie. “It was great to see her rewarded with the OT winner. She is playing with confidence right now and we hope it continues.”

Snodgrass wasn’t the only productive Husky, as senior goalie Annie Belanger recorded a total of 31 saves to preserve a shutout.  UConn was outshot 31-21, but their 21st was the most important for them.

Mackenzie said he was not surprised with Belanger’s performance.

“Annie has been very consistent her entire career,” Mackenzie said. “We will depend on her this season along with many of our players.”

The final game of the weekend came Saturday and the Huskies dropped the match by a score of 3-2.

Senior Justine Fredette and sophomore Briana Colangelo provided the offensive firepower for UConn as each scored a goal in the final game against SCSU. Each goal gave UConn a 2-0 lead, but SCSU stormed back to score three goals and ultimately win the game.

Sophomore Morgan Fisher made 22 saves in her first game of the season, but it was not enough for UConn in the loss.

Freshman Taylor Wabick and senior Leah Lum assisted on Fredette’s first goal, while Snodgrass and Lum recorded the assist on Colangelo’s goal.

SCSU goalie Emma Polusny settled down after UConn’s two goals and recorded 31 saves. Julia Tylke, SCSU’s top scorer, recorded two goals in the victory.

The UConn Huskies will be back in action against Vermont at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Freitas Ice Forum.

Michael Logan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.