Malloy urges state legislature to reconsider hospital tax

The budget that passed the General Assembly last week was a two-year, $41.2 billion deal. It passed the House 126-23 and the Senate 33-3. (Wikipedia/Creative Commons)

Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy expressed concern for the hospital tax in the state budget that passed on Oct. 26.

According to the Hartford Courant, Malloy has written legislative leaders telling them to meet “immediately” to correct what he called the “very serious concerns” affecting the hospital tax contained in the budget.

Malloy said there is a very limited amount of time to make adjustments, as he is required to either approve or veto the budget by Wednesday. The budget passed with a veto-proof majority.

Speaker of the House Joe Aresimowicz, D-Berlin, told the CT Post the legislature stands by Connecticut’s hospitals and supports their contribution to the state’s health care system and economy.

“It is unfortunate the governor has chosen to express his concerns at the final hour after declining to engage in recent days despite our efforts,” Aresimowicz said. “If a fix is needed we will get that done too, but it should not take away from this historic moment of a true bipartisan budget that received overwhelming support.”

House Minority Leader Themis Klarides, R-Derby, told the CT Post if there is an issue, the legislature will fix it.

“That’s really all we can say,” Klarides said.

Republican Senate Leader Len Fasano, R-North Haven, told the CT Post he received assurances that the bill was written correctly from state hospital officials on Thursday.

“The governor’s fears are unfounded,” Fasano said. “I spoke with the hospitals’ tax lawyers and they indicated it is not a problem.”

The budget that passed the General Assembly last week was a two-year, $41.2 billion deal. It passed the House 126-23 and the Senate 33-3.

If Malloy doesn’t veto the bill by Wednesday, it will automatically become law.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.