Melissa’s Menu: Mummy hand pies

This week on Melissa's Menu mummy hand pies, a Halloween-themed dessert. On the outside is a crispy pastry dough in a crisscross pattern to give the bandaged-up mummy effect and the inside has a warm pumpkin filling. (Photo courtesy of Delish.com)

Halloween is finally here, and what better way to celebrate than by whipping up a Halloween-themed dessert? This week’s recipe, mummy hand pies, can help you do just that. They’re spooky and cute at the same time and, above all else, they’re absolutely delicious. On the outside is a crispy pastry dough in a crisscross pattern to give the bandaged-up mummy effect and the inside has a warm pumpkin filling. Whether you’re making it to impress your friends or to enjoy by yourself, this treat will definitely leave you feeling spooky.

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 refrigerated pie crusts, thawed if frozen
  • All-purpose flour, for dusting
  • 1 large egg
  • 12 raisins

Directions:

First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then, add the pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and a pinch of salt to a medium bowl and stir to combine. Roll out one pie crust on a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin to form a rectangle about 9 inches by 12 inches. Square off the crust with a knife, reserving the scraps for decorating. Cut the pie crust into six equal rectangles, each about 3 inches by 6 inches. Transfer them to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll out the other pie crust to the same thickness as the first. Cut into thin strips about 1/4 inch wide and 7 inches long. Repeat with the reserved dough scraps. Transfer the strips to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Add one heaping tablespoon of the filling made earlier to the center of each rectangular crust. Use the back of a spoon to spread out the filling, leaving about a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Lightly beat an egg with one tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Use a pastry brush to brush the edges of the pies with the egg wash. Layer the strips of dough, varying the angle of each strip to create a "mummy" look (kind of in a criss-cross pattern). Seal the edges with a fork. Lightly brush the tops of the hand pies with the egg wash. Add two raisins to each hand pie to look like eyes. Bake until golden brown, which should take about 20 to 25 minutes.

These hand pies are super easy to make and are absolutely irresistible. Not only do they fit the Halloween theme by being pumpkin flavored, but they look like the cutest mummies you’ve ever seen. Nothing says celebrating a holiday quite like eating themed food, and there’s no treat out there cuter than these mummy hand pies.

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.