SNL’s David S. pumpkins short was wonderfully silly

One year after “Saturday Night Live” introduced their original character David S. Pumpkins to late night television, the sketch comedy show debuted a 20 minute long animated special about “the Halloween Guy.”(Screenshot courtesy of SNL's Facebook)

One year after “Saturday Night Live” introduced their original character David S. Pumpkins to late night television, the sketch comedy show debuted a 20 minute long animated special about “the Halloween Guy.”

The original sketch featuring David S. Pumpkins aired Oct. 22, 2016. The sketch began with a couple in a haunted elevator attraction encountering several frightening scenes before David S. Pumpkins appears on the ride. The character was played by guest host Tom Hanks, who wore a suit covered in orange pumpkins. With a skeleton on either side, David S. Pumpkins dances to the same song before asking “any questions?” several times throughout the sketch. The sketch quickly became a fan favorite for “Saturday Night Live,” with David S. Pumpkins making another guest appearance during the season finale.

Earlier this year, “Saturday Night Live” announced the return of Tom Hanks’ character in the form of an animated special, which debuted Saturday night. “The David S. Pumpkins Animated Halloween Special” tells the story of a young boy who encounters the titular character after his sister chooses the ugliest pumpkin in the pumpkin patch. In the special, David S. Pumpkins has magical powers and is described by the narrator as a “Halloween Santa Claus.”

David S. Pumpkins and the young boy save Halloween by getting the neighborhood kids their candy back from Raincoat Man, the ghost of a faceless man who haunts an abandoned house. When confronting Raincoat Man, they realize he is actually the neighborhood bullies who wanted to scare kids out of their Halloween candy. With the help of David S. Pumpkins’ magic powers, each child had their candy returned via flying pumpkin. The animated special ends with David S. Pumpkins returning to the pumpkin patch where he was found with the promise that he would never see the young boy again.

The 20 minute long animated special featured an all-star cast, including Peter Dinklage as the narrator, Mikey Day, Bobby Moynihan and of course, Tom Hanks.

The special was supposed to act as a sort of backstory to the character of David S. Pumpkins, which is ironic as the characters entire appeal was that he was outrageously random. With this aside, the special was a really fun watch. The jokes were so amusing and simple you couldn’t help but laugh, especially when the camera panned to the ever-smiling David S. Pumpkins. The special still held onto the randomness of the original character, even if its purpose was to provide backstory.

Tom Hanks’ portrayal of the title character is by far the best part of the sketch, as there is something incredibly amusing about watching one of the most revered and talented actors of our time voice a strange pumpkin suited “Halloween Santa Claus.”

It took under a year for the original sketch to become a Halloween classic, so it’s likely that the animated special will follow a similar trajectory. It is safe to say this is probably not the last we will see of David S. Pumpkins.

Rating: 3 out of 5

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.