President Trump’s U.N. Speech his finest moment yet

FILE - In this Sept. 19, 2017, file photo, U.S. President Donald Trump addresses the 72nd session of the United Nations General Assembly, at U.N. headquarters. (AP/Richard Drew)

On Sept. 19, President Trump addressed the United Nations General Assembly. His speech included many foreign policy issues along with the direction President Trump would like to see for the U.N. It became clear early on in that the tone and direction would be much different than almost any speech given by a United States President to the U.N. before. And that’s what made it so incredible.

“Our government's first duty is to its people, to our citizens; to serve their needs, to ensure their safety, to preserve their rights, and to defend their values,” Trump said. “As president of the United States, I will always put America first. Just like you, as the leaders of your countries, will always and should always put your countries first."

Globalism has been sold to the American people for countless years by both parties. The United States has been taken advantage of more times than you can count. It is paramount that the United States, the strongest bedrock of the United Nations, be as strong as possible. It is time to put our people first, just as every sovereign nation in the world should do.  

“The United States is one out of 193 countries in the United Nations, and yet we pay 22 percent of the entire budget and more,” Trump said

It is time for United States to stop being the world's endless bank vault. It wouldn’t be such a bad investment if the U.N. was a strong organization that promoted law and order around the world. Unfortunately the reality is the contrary. It is simply a body that is far better at blowing hot air then getting anything productive done.

President Trump went on to lay out the current threats around the world. He laid out the threat of China and Russia expanding their territory. He discussed the Bashar Al-Assad regime and its supporters. He took on “Rocket Man” and the disgusting regime of North Korea. He rallied against the dire threat of Iran obtaining a nuclear weapon. He also strongly condemned the acts of Islamic terrorist groups such as ISIS and the bodies that fund them. President Trump’s tactful posturing against these threats put them on notice in front of the entire world. He stressed that it would be far more beneficial if the U.N. worked together as a strong unified force to combat these threats. The U.N. has an incredible chance to be a unifying force for peace and it is time for it to live up to its potential.

The greatest part of the speech came when the President condemned the failures of Nicholas Maduro’s regime in Venezuela and the ideology it represents.

“The problem in Venezuela is not that socialism has been poorly implemented, but that socialism has been faithfully implemented,” Trump said. “From the Soviet Union to Cuba to Venezuela, wherever true socialism or communism has been adopted, it has delivered anguish and devastation and failure. Those who preach the tenets of these discredited ideologies only contribute to the continued suffering of the people who live under these cruel systems."

American capitalism is far superior to the false hopes of communism and socialism. The failure of socialism in Venezuela should be used as a warning to the rest of the world and President Trump made that clear.  

President Trump’s speech was exactly what the United States, and the world as a whole, needed to hear. America is the strongest country on earth and after 8 years of apology and appeasement on the world stage we are here to lead again. The U.N. has been weak for far too long and it’s about time the leader of the free world said it. I believe the U.N. was created with great optimism and hope. It has fallen far of course, but American leadership can surely turn it back. It’s time again for the countries of the world who seek freedom, democracy, and world peace to put their faith in the United States.

Alexander Grzelak is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at alexander.grzelak@uconn.edu.