USG approves support of Governor Malloy’s budget cut veto at Senate meeting

USG Senate meets at the Student Union Ballroom Wednesday, Oct. 4. Members discuss critical current events, spanning from university budget cuts to hurricane support for Puerto Rico. (Natalija Marosz/The Daily Campus)

Undergraduate Student Government voted Wednesday night to support Governor Dan Malloy’s decision to veto the proposed Connecticut budget cuts to the University of Connecticut.

USG approved the Joint Resolution Considering Approved 2017 Connecticut State Budget after deliberation about the reasoning behind the cuts and supported Governor Malloy’s decision to veto the budget cuts.

The resolution states USG’s support of the governor's decision and urges state legislation to not reverse Governor Malloy’s decision.

USG stated that they felt UConn’s mission statement to be “dedicated to excellence demonstrated through national and international recognition,” and couldn’t be completely upheld with such a huge cut to the university’s budget.

USG President Irma Valverde discussed how they hoped to get more students involved in calling Connecticut legislators in order to gain more support for USG’s stance against the budget cuts.

“They are already talking about doing a mid-year tuition increase,” Valverde said. “It hasn’t been approved but that’s their plan in case the budget is cut.”

Senator Walter Dodson announced the creation of a One UConn coalition, which calls for student organizations to back USG in their support of Governor Malloy’s veto discussion. He says that it also requires many more students to call Connecticut’s legislation to prove how seriously UConn students take the budget cuts.

Senator Joshua Crow brought up the issue of why the budget cut was proposed in the first place.

“(The legislators) know what UConn does and they still chose to do this… We should try to understand why they chose to do this and try to work towards an understanding,” Crow said.

The meeting was closed with discussion about future plans for a meeting addressing the issues of racism, both on campus and in the world, sometime in November.

Molly Desrochers is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at molly.desrochers@uconn.edu.