Winners and Losers

Houston Astros' Tony Kemp (18) and UConn alum George Springer (4) celebrate in the dugout after Springer hit a grand slam in the sixth inning of a baseball game against the Texas Rangers on Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2017, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)

As the fall season roars into October, let’s take a look at the current winners and losers from the wide world of sports.

Winner: Tage Thompson- NHL Debut   

The former UConn hockey standout made the St. Louis Blues’ opening night roster out of training camp. After recording 64 goals over the past two seasons at UConn, the 2016 first round draft pick is poised to begin his NHL career.

He made his NHL debut last night against the Pittsburgh Penguins, as he was slated in as third line winger alongside Magnus Paajarvi and Oskar Sundqvist.

The Blues’ head coach, Mike Yeo, attributed Thompson earning a spot to the special game he brings with a helpful size advantage and plenty of skill. The rookie led the team with four points in preseason contests.

Winner: George Springer- Playoffs and Cookies   

Another former UConn star, meanwhile, is preparing for more postseason baseball. Springer heads into the playoffs following a breakout season, where he hit 34 home runs and delivered 85 RBI in 140 games, leading off the AL West champion Houston Astros. He also earned a starting spot for the American League all star team.

Now he hopes his dominance translates into October. The Astros are one of the favorites to win the World Series, due, in large part, to the dynamic game that Springer brings. Sports Illustrated featured Springer on its cover back in 2014 with the title, “Your 2017 World Series Champs”. Will the Astros fulfil their prediction, or might the magazine’s curse claim another victim?

The Connecticut native will get the chance shine close to home, as his Astros face the Boston Red Sox in the Division Series. To see how special this could potentially be, just look what happened when he played at Fenway this past weekend. His first grade teacher from New Britain, Connecticut made a huge sign to support Springer, and even brought him cookies! If that doesn’t make him a winner, I don’t know what does.

Winner: David Robertson- Wild Card Hero

Robertson shut down the Minnesota Twins, playing a pivotal role in the Yankees’ 8-4 victory in the AL Wild Card game. He entered the game in just the third inning, and worked out of a bases loaded jam, while allowing just one run to cross the plate (on a fielder’s choice). He went on to pitch a gutsy 3.1 innings, bridging the gap between the early and late innings for New York’s bullpen.

The receiver's performance was essential to allow the Yankees to sustain their lead. By heroically pitching three innings he saved some of the team’s bullpen, and propelled them towards the win.

Winner: Bryant Shirreffs  

The Senior stole the starting quarterback job back from David Pindell during the Huskies’ opening week matchup against Holy Cross, and has since solidified his role. Shirreffs now has the fourth best passer rating in the nation, and leads the conference with an average of 291.2 passing yards per game.

Loser: UConn Football- The Defense

After barely beating Holy Cross to open the season, the Huskies have dropped three consecutive games, leaving them dead last in the East of the American Conference. The defense is responsible for the the team’s losing pattern as they have allowed 38 or more points in each loss.

Loser: New York Giants- Worst in the NFL

There is not a single team or person in sports that should be feeling down about themselves as much as Big Blue. A team that was supposed to compete to win the NFC East title is now grasping for hope that they can win a single game. They sit at 0-4, in company with some of the most pathetic teams in the entire sport: The Cleveland Browns, Los Angeles Chargers, and San Francisco 49ers. They are the worst of the worst.

Dylan Barrett is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at dylan.barrett@uconn.edu.