Campus renovations move UITS workers to new modular office buildings

In its totality, the new renovation will bring updated classrooms, lecture halls, teaching and research laboratories, faculty offices and support space, the article said. The renovation will also include a reconstructed roof to prevent leaks and save energy. (Flickr/Creative Commons)

University Information Technology Service (UITS) employees have settled into a new work space after renovations to their current location in the Edward V. Gant building began last August.

According to University of Connecticut network engineer Jason Hamley, there are approximately 85 UITS employees and student workers with offices and workspaces in the new modular office building (MOB) located behind Gampel Pavilion.

“Multiple areas within UITS are in the MOB,” Hamley said. “These include the office of the CIO, IT security office, network engineering, server support group, physical infrastructure planning and the UITS business office.”

Hamley said services will remain efficient and productive with employees spread between the four MOB units.

“From the community perspective, services are not really impacted,” Hamley said. “The UConn Data Center, where we house servers, remains in the math-science building and technicians have to factor in travel time if they need to work in that facility.”

UConn director of design and STEM projects Michael Schrier said the location may be beneficial to the employees.

“I would argue that they are out of the line of fire in a student-occupied facility and they’re centrally located where they can run out to different spots more conveniently,” Schrier said.

Hamley made similar comments about the new location.

“Although we’re in different rooms, we are all in a single location and are centrally located on campus,” Hamley said. “This will help facilitate communication and collaboration among the different units.”

According to Schrier, the only way the space could become problematic is if the department expands in the future.

“Growing within their space there are limitations because we can’t add any trailers to the site,” Schrier said. “But, if there’s a need for additional bodies and we have to find additional space for them then that’s something we deal with from every department on campus.”

Schrier acknowledged that growth is likely as the department will be in the MOB for at least four years.

According to a UConn Today article, the three phases of the Gant building renovation will not be complete until the summer of 2022 at the earliest, with gaps in between each phase.

In its totality, the new renovation will bring updated classrooms, lecture halls, teaching and research laboratories, faculty offices and support space, the article said. The renovation will also include a reconstructed roof to prevent leaks and save energy.

Phase one of the renovation is underway and expected to be completed in the fall of 2018.

John Lavenburg is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at john.lavenburg@uconn.edu.