Cross Country Preview: Huskies travel back to Beantown

For the third time this season the women’s team will be heading to Massachusetts, where they will compete in Franklin Park for the second time in three weeks. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s cross country team heads to Franklin Park in Boston, Massachusetts on Saturday, Oct. 7 to participate in the 105th Cross Country Championships.

For the third time this season the women’s team will be heading to Massachusetts, where they will compete in Franklin Park for the second time in three weeks. The last time the Huskies ran at Franklin Park was the Coast-to-Coast Battle in Beantown, which was an unscored event. The Huskies did not send a large portion of their regular runners but still saw good results from the runners they did send. As they did at the Battle in Beantown, the Huskies will be holding the majority of their top runners out of this race, according to their roster on the NEICAAA website.

The Huskies are sending 13 runners to the event on Saturday. The 13 runners include freshmen Alexandra Alsup, Morocca Wiley, Rachel Vick and Katelynn Romanchick; sophomores Julia Sprout and Mackenzie Pias; juniors Hannah Fleming, Lindsey Kane, Lauren Scahill and Talia Staiger; and seniors Katherine Foley, Liz Lagoy and Alana Pearl. Of these runners, the notable omissions are some of the team’s top runners, including freshmen Brianna O’Brien and Mia Nahom and junior Haley Hasty, according to the NEICAAA website.

Participating schools will remain relatively local to the northern New England area. Aside from UConn, teams including Boston College, Brown, Central Connecticut State, Keene State, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island and Yale will all be participating in the event. In 2016, the women’s side of the Championships was won by New Hampshire, followed by Harvard in second and Vermont in third.

The day will start with the Women’s Sub Varsity Race at 11:00 a.m., followed by the Women’s Varsity Race at 11:45 a.m. There will also be two men’s races, but the UConn men will not be competing until next Friday, Oct. 13, where the team will be split into two squads. One group is headed to Wisconsin Nuttycombe Invitational on the Zimmer Championship Course in Madison, Wisconsin, while another group will be headed to the Rothenberg Run on Goddard Park in Warwick, Rhode Island.

Kenny Beardsley is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kenneth.beardsley_iii@uconn.edu.