Don’t Call it a Comeback Tour: Take a break, go to sports games

There is a sense of wonder in watching hundreds of UConn students cheer a team onto victory. Even if you aren’t a fan you’ll still get caught up in the excitement of the game. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

One month. That’s about how long into the school year we are. That means that midterms are starting for most of you guys, if not all of you. If your classes are anything like mine, you have nice variety of courses that stretch from mind-numbingly hard to something you could probably get through without any thought. But regardless of how easy or hard your classes are, they are still classes. Which means that they take work, and things that take work tax our minds and bodies a lot more than you might think.

Last week I talked about how sleep was super important to keep yourself from crashing and burning during the semester. This column is kind of a continuation of that--I once again want to talk about avoiding crashing and burning. I’m here for a fifth year because at some point during my college career, I crashed and I burned hard. I burned so hard that even when I found a way out it was almost impossible to recover completely. And I was lucky. I’ve seen other students who crashed and never made it out. Most of them moved back home and now live in their parent’s basement (or whatever metaphor you’d like to use).

A huge part of not burning out is finding something else to do. It’s pretty common knowledge that you can’t study one thing for longer than 45 minutes in a row. In between those 45-minute blocks you can do anything from going for a run to watching something on Netflix, but at some point you have to go back to studying. That makes sense.

What happens when you’ve had a big studying day? I’m 99 percent sure that a short 20-60 minute break is not going to be enough to recover from that. Luckily you’re in college and there are a million and a half different things you can do to get away from your studies. In fact, there is one very specific thing that you can do that I highly recommend, that I’m sure you could have guessed from the title. That’s right, in my most humble opinion, the best thing you can do to take a break from studying is to attend a sports game.

In case you’ve missed all the emails and fliers on campus, UConn is a sports school. UConn has teams that participate in many different sports from soccer and football to field hockey and softball. And right now is prime sports season. In fact today, there is football game where we will take on (and probably lose to) Memphis. This weekend there are women’s ice hockey games and volleyball matches. Like I said: prime sports season.

The great thing about going to sports games at UConn is that you don’t have to be a big sports fan. A wise UConn alumnus named Josh Kelman (UConn ’15) once told me that all UConn students should attend sports games because they help create a sense of camaraderie among students. There is a sense of wonder in watching hundreds of UConn students cheer a team onto victory. Even if you aren’t a fan you’ll still get caught up in the excitement of the game.

And getting caught up in the excitement is the most important part of attending any sports match, especially if you need a break from studying. While at the game, you won’t have enough a time to worry about what you have or haven’t studied because you’ll be more concerned about the fact that UConn can’t seem to get its defense together and stop the other team from getting a first down.

Everybody needs a break. It’s a fact of life. So instead of studying until you drop, consider going to a sports match. Your body, and your grades, will thank you.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and weekly columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.