Men’s Soccer: Huskies hit the road

UConn soccer forward Dayonn Harris (5) fights for the ball in their game against Providence on September 26, 2017. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

This weekend, the UConn men’s soccer team will look to regain their momentum after a loss to No. 1 Maryland with a road matchup against Cincinnati.

The Huskies (5-3-2, 2-0-0 the American) are off to a perfect start to American Athletic Conference play while the Bearcats (9-7-1, 0-2-0 the American) have yet to get a conference win.

The match at Gettler Stadium in Cincinnati will only be the second time the Huskies have played on the road this season, and will kick off a three-game road stretch for UConn. The Huskies will also face South Florida and Boston College.

Last time out, UConn fell 3-2 at home to Maryland in a crushing loss. Heading into the match, the Huskies had won their last three results and been unbeaten in six.

So far this season, the Bearcats have struggled to string together a good run of form, only winning successive games once. Last week, Cincy got demolished by USF on the road, 5-2.

Midfielder David Sanz is one player Ray Reid’s team will have to look out for, as the sophomore has five goals and five assists on the season, leading his team in both categories.

UConn dominated the fixture last season winning the match against Cincinnati 5-0. On that day, Abdou Mbacke Thiam, Sebastian Brems, Simon Olafsen and Kwame Awuah all nabbed goals. Thiam is the only player still with the program.

Building off his work last season in which he scored 10 goals, Thiam has continued to lead the Huskies front line. This season Thiam has six goals in 10 games played, accounting for over half of the Huskies’ goals.

A 3-0 start in the American would tie last year's start in the conference for the Huskies. If the team were to move to 4-0 after facing South Florida, it would be the team’s best ever start in the conference.

Last week, redshirt senior Scott Levene earned his third selection of the season as conference goalkeeper of the week. Sophomore Niko Petridis and junior Jacob Hauser-Ramsey also earned spots on the weekly honor roll.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.