One UConn Coalition urges students to call legislators about budget

After Gov. Dannel Malloy vetoed the budget that passed the general assembly, Republican lawmakers decided not to hold an override vote. Malloy is hoping the assembly will present a bipartisan budget for him to sign by Friday, Oct. 13. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Students at the University of Connecticut can contact their state senators and representatives to voice their opinions regarding the potential budget cuts.

Students who are Connecticut residents can visit saveuconn.com and click on “contact your legislator” to be brought to the Connecticut General Assembly legislator lookup. From there, they can input their town name and home address to find the names and contact information of their senators and representatives.

Members of the One UConn Coalition, a subset of UConnPIRG that is focused on supporting and celebrating UConn’s economic contributions to the state, expressed the importance of students calling their legislators.

“Right now elected officials are going back and forth on the budget and need to present one soon, so it’s very important this week for (students) to call (their) elected officials and express why this budget is important,” first semester economics major and member of One UConn Coalition, Tori Zane, said.

Zane said calling state senators and representatives is a quick and easy process, and that if students are nervous they can use a script that the One UConn Coalition created.

“The elected officials really do care about what their constituents think, and right now they’re going back and forth about the budget and need to produce one very soon,” Zane said. “It’s very important this week to call your elected officials and tell them what you think and express why this budget is important to you.”

Students can get more information by going to saveuconn.com or pirg.uconn.edu and can sign up to volunteer for the One UConn Coalition by clicking on the link that reads “sign up here to volunteer to #SAVEUCONN” on UConnPIRG’s website.

After Gov. Dannel Malloy vetoed the budget that passed the general assembly, Republican lawmakers decided not to hold an override vote. Malloy is hoping the assembly will present a bipartisan budget for him to sign by Friday, Oct. 13.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.