Women’s hockey set to face Hockey East rival Vermont

UConn Women's Hockey defender Cidnee Cook (4) gets the puck in the game against Northeastern University. The UConn Huskies lost 3-2 in the Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs, CT on Friday, Jan 20, 2017. (File/The Daily Campus)

UConn women’s hockey (1-1) will go up against a Hockey East opponent, Vermont, at Freitas Ice Forum this Saturday. The Huskies are coming off a split in a two-game series against St. Cloud this past weekend. Game one was a 1-0 victory in OT thanks to the first career goal of freshman Natalie Snodgrass. Saturday’s 3-2 loss came as a result of a three-goal rally in the third period against sophomore goalie Morgan Fisher.

Vermont last season went 15-14-9, ultimately facing defeat in the Hockey East semifinals against Boston College. In three matchups with the Huskies last year, the Catamounts took a win, a loss, and a tie. Their first game this season was a 6-2 Hockey East loss to Providence College.

The offense for Vermont last season was talented and young, with Freshman Cve-Audrey Picard leading the team in goals with 16. Sophomore Alyssa Gorecki was a close second with 13 goals.

“This will be a tough battle for two points in our league standings,” head coach Chris MacKenzie said. “We split the season series last year 1-1-1 and Vermont is returning some very good players.”

The Huskies are prepared for this season with an impressive senior class. Forward Justine Fredette was named captain, while senior Leah Lum and Junior Jamie Fox were given alternate captain nods. Lum is coming off an impressive junior campaign, leading the team in goals with 18. Senior Theresa Knutson had 10 goals and 19 points last season. Sophomore Briana Colangelo had a 25-point Freshman campaign and is a bright spot for this team’s future.

Finally, senior goalkeeper Annie Belanger is coming off a 32 game season with 1870 minutes in the net for the Huskies. Belanger allowed 72 goals and saved 940 shots for a save percentage at .929, 10 points higher than their opponents.

“We are happy with what we’ve seen from our team so far,” MacKenzie said. “Looking forward to our home opener.”

UConn will face Vermont Saturday at 2 p.m. at Freitas Ice Forum.

Rachel Schaefer is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.